Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JWester
Service Provider
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Joern Westermann

e-mail notification only when retry fails?

Post by JWester »

Hi,

I configured Veeam Backup to notify by e-mail on warnings and failures. I also configured all jobs with three retries.
So if a VM cannot be backed up I get four failure e-mails. And if the VM is backed up correctly on the retry I still have the failure mail from the previous run.
My question: Is it possible to configure Veeam backup in a way that e-mails are sent out only if the _last_ retry fails?

Thank you in advance!

Regards
Joern
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: e-mail notification only when retry fails?

Post by tsightler »

That really would be a great feature.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Joern, currently there is no way to configure it, but thank you for your feedback regarding notifications engine.
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Post by flavor4real »

that would be great idea !!!!
snowmizer
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by snowmizer »

Any idea when this feature will be available? Is this going to be available in the next release? It seems like a waste of time to get a failure email on the first failure, take the time to log in and check the backup only to find out that the job completed successfully on the second retry.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No exact timeframe currently (though it is on the list).
c_manboy
Novice

[MERGED] Dont send notification until tries completed

Post by c_manboy »

After researching the forums it does not appear that there is a way to configure notifications so that they are sent *after* all of the retries are completed.

It seems to me that a job is only failed if it does not succeed within the amount of retries I configured for the job. Perhaps have two levels of notification? Or add a user defined switch for when to notify (each failure/after retries).

If I am wrong about this can you please let me know how to configure notifications to only send after all retries failed?
Jamie Pert
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jamie Pert

Post by Jamie Pert »

My colleague done this using powershell - but I agree it should be built-in to Veeam.
@jam1epert on Twitter
mmartin
Novice
Full Name: Michael Martin

[MERGED] Veeam Alerts - duplicate emails / false alerts

Post by mmartin »

Hi folks,

We have a number of clients that we have deployed veeam too - the issue we have is that we are monitoring their veeam setups and we get veeam to alert via email to our ticketing system when a job fails.

This all works fine except for the jobs that are failing on first attempt / second attempt and then retrying successfully - the problem here is that we get a lot of tickets daily about failed backups but then when we dial in we discover in fact they were successful on retry.

Is there anyway to stop veeam alerting us until the job has actually failed completely this would greatly reduce the false positives we are getting daily and also save us a whole heap of time.

Thanks

Michael
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good news to everyone who would like to change the existing notification engine behavior. In the upcoming Veeam ONE v6.5 which integrates with Veeam B&R v6.5, we will have predefined alarms for backup/replication jobs that will ignore failures on retries and will send only 1 notification per each job session.

If you're not a Veeam ONE user yet, please consider taking a look at it once 6.5 comes out.
rihardsshtrauss
Novice
Full Name: Rihards Strauss

[MERGED] Veeam alert e-mails.

Post by rihardsshtrauss »

Hello everyone,

I have a question about Veeam B&R 6,1. I wanted to know if there is a way to modify e-mails, that are sent to administrators about failed jobs, for example, e-mail is sent everytime when job happens, either backup or replication, but, if first try fails and seconds is successful I would like to recieve only last e-mail about last backup or replication try. Is there a way to make this possible, so, I don't recieve e-mails about first or second failed tries, but only about last backup or replication attempt for all jobs?

I hope that somebody will understand my question, and, that, maybe there is a way to make this possible!

Hope to hear some answers or recommandations on this topic,

Thank you for reading!

Rihards
dlowe
Influencer
Full Name: Darryl Lowe

[MERGED] Veeam B&R Enhancement/ - Send Email Notify After al

Post by dlowe »

I would like to see an enhancement in Veeam B&R whereby either in the Email Options settings or in the Job Scheduling options, there is a checkbox option to Wait to send a Notification on success, warnings and failures, until after all retries are completed!

Currently if you utilize Email alerting and there are failures with retries, you either can either turn on the 'Notify on failure' option, but you may receive multiple failure emails until all the retries are done, and it could be just one VM in the job that is having an issue. This is not preferred as there is too much noise when VMs are having issues, especially if its Windows VSS related, I wouldn't want 6 failure emails. If 'Notify on Success' is also enabled, and there are failures, the final email only shows a summary report of the VM that was having issues, so there is no final report summary option to show all VMs completed successfully.

If I only turn on the 'Notify on Success' option, it would eliminate all the failed attempts, but all the successful VMs would not show up in the final successful attempt in the event of a failure.

We are currently looking at VeeamONE as a trial; however it is difficult to get a daily report summary that has the same look & information as the email notification reports do, and on a per job or per VMware folder basis, when the perfect daily report is 'almost' built into VeeamB&R email alerting. I think it would be a quick and easy enhancement for Veeam to make to B&R, and become very useful for many customers, especially for businesses that have a budget for VeeamB&R, but not for VeeamONE.

Please ref. case 00579469
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Re: Veeam B&R Enhancement/ - Send Email Notify After all Ret

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Darryl,
dlowe wrote:We are currently looking at VeeamONE as a trial; however it is difficult to get a daily report summary that has the same look & information as the email notification reports do, and on a per job or per VMware folder basis, when the perfect daily report is 'almost' built into VeeamB&R email alerting.
Can you please tell me what reports/summary alarm notifications are you currently using in Veeam ONE? You can get summary email notification via built-in alarms or Latest Backup Job Status report, that pretty much returns the same data you see in Backup Enterprise Manager.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

dlowe wrote:Wait to send a Notification on success, warnings and failures, until after all retries are completed!
This is strange, as it already works this way. What Veeam version are you using?
dlowe
Influencer

Post by dlowe »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Darryl,
Can you please tell me what reports/summary alarm notifications are you currently using in Veeam ONE? You can get summary email notification via built-in alarms or Latest Backup Job Status report, that pretty much returns the same data you see in Backup Enterprise Manager.

Thanks!
Actually, we finally just got the VeeamONE functioning properly after having worked with Tier I, II & III support (bug in the application that will hopefully have a fix in the next patch release).
I went through 'all' the report options, and unfortunately I could not find one that can provide a proper 'daily' report summary of backup job status (per customer job or per VMware Folder VMs), and even the weekly reports don't give very good detail per VM, as can be seen in the default Veeam B&R email alerts/report summaries. If Veeam B&R had the option to give a final report summary alert, after all retries are completed, showing the final backup status/result all VMs within the job, that would be perfect. Unfortunately there is no functionality for this with the current versions, and that is why I created this topic.
dlowe
Influencer

Post by dlowe »

Gostev wrote: This is strange, as it already works this way. What Veeam version are you using?
We are using v7.
Unfortunately, Veeam B&R does not wait to send a Notification on the status of a job (including status of each VM in that job) after all retries are completed.

Bascially, if we configured Veeam options for 'Notify on success', and all VMs in a particular backup job had a status of success on the first try; that is the perfect daily summary report! Unfortunately, not all VMs backup on the first try, especially Exchange servers that are bound by the 20sec time limit to quiesce for app level backups, so instead of having 'one' final daily summary report showing the final status of all VMs for a particular job, we end up with sometimes 7 emails for that job, none of which show all the VMs' final backup status.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

dlowe wrote:Actually, we finally just got the VeeamONE functioning properly after having worked with Tier I, II & III support (bug in the application that will hopefully have a fix in the next patch release).
I went through 'all' the report options, and unfortunately I could not find one that can provide a proper 'daily' report summary of backup job status (per customer job or per VMware Folder VMs), and even the weekly reports don't give very good detail per VM, as can be seen in the default Veeam B&R email alerts/report summaries.
Is the bug you're referring to mentioned in your support case? I want to take a look.

Also can you please tell me what you would like to see/change in Latest Backup Job status report in order to meet your current needs?
dlowe
Influencer

Post by dlowe »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Is the bug you're referring to mention in your support case? I want to take a look.

Also can you please tell me what you would like to see/change in Latest Backup Job status report in order to meet your current needs?
The support person hasn't sent it in an email or posted in the case notes as a bug yet, nor much detail on what was done to fix it, but he confirmed on the phone yesterday that it was a bug and believed it should be fixed in the next patch release, since we are not the first customer that has had the issue. Hopefully he will add those details before the case is closed.

Regarding the Latest Backup Job status report, I should note that we have a multi-tenant environment, whereby we host multiple customer's VM environments and backup each customer's environment within their own backup job. So we need to have the ability to provide both daily and weekly/monthly report summaries to each of our customers. The daily reports could be used as alerts as well in case the final status of the job has one or more VMs with a failure status.

The image below is exactly what we are looking for in a report. It is the email alert summary report that Veeam B&R sends if all VMs are successful; however we would like to see an 'option/enhancement' to have this report sent 'only' at the end of the job after all retry attempts are completed, showing the status of all VMs within that one report or email, including any failed VMs...
Having said that, the email enhancement option I am proposing or requesting would be the 'Perfect' report...even if we could just get the same report but with less detail, that would be acceptable (detail such as Data read, Transferred, Dedupe, Compression, etc. doesn't necessarily need to be in the 'daily' report, but would be a 'nice to have').

The main difference between the VM content of the below example, and what we require, is that this example appears to show the job '3am Daily Backup' for all their VMs; where as each of our jobs only show the VMs for a particular customer. Our customers usually have between 2 & 13 VMs in their environments, and we have over 20 customers, so one big daily summary of all VMs will not work for customer based/job based alerting & reporting...

dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Wait, you said v7 but the report says 6.5... If I remember, consolidated reports have been introduced in v7, so multiple reports for each retry are expected with 6.5

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
dlowe
Influencer

Post by dlowe »

dellock6 wrote:Wait, you said v7 but the report says 6.5... If I remember, consolidated reports have been introduced in v7, so multiple reports for each retry are expected with 6.5

Luca.
That image link is not actually one of ours...it was the only example I could find online, but it looks identical to v7.
Is there an option for a final consolidated report in Veeam B&R v7 with email alerting? Are you saying that Veeam 7 doesn't send an email alert each time there is a retry failure?
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Exactly, there is only one email after all the retries has been tried. That's why Anton said it was strange. Maybe it's time to open a support case.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
dlowe
Influencer

Post by dlowe »

dellock6 wrote:Exactly, there is only one email after all the retries has been tried. That's why Anton said it was strange. Maybe it's time to open a support case.
If that is the case, then that's perfect! I must have missed that enhancement when upgrading from 6.5 to 7. I will try tonight, and see what happens. If we get one email per job at the very end of all retries, then we will be able to turn on alerting and send daily & weekly reports to our customers. I'll post tomorrow once I have tested this.
dlowe
Influencer

Post by dlowe »

Wow...I guess I missed that enhancement when we went to v7. On a couple of the jobs last night, a VM failed on the first attempt & one on the second attempt, but this morning I only received one summary email alert for each job, and each with the final status of all VMs in the job. So the enhancement option I was proposing is already built into the latest version of the product. Thanks for all the responses.
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

I told you :)
Kidding, glad it was helpful and your exectations were satisfied!

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1