Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mx_michael.preis
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Preis

Terminating an Instant Recovery Session

Post by mx_michael.preis »

Hi,

I recovered a virtual machine using Instant Recovery in B&R v6.1. Now I wanted to stop publishing, but when I do this by clicking "Stop publishing" in the context menu of the running Instant Recovery job, only the folder in the NFS datastore gets deleted. The restored machine on the ESX hosts remains powered on, but when I open the console the message "Unable to connect to the MKS: Virtual machine config file does not exist.". That is okay, because the folder containing the appropriate vmdk and config files was deleted as I said above. So I now have to unregister the VM from the ESX host and then have to unmount the NFS datastore manually.

In v5 by terminating the running Instant Recovery session, the machine gets unregistered (without shutting down) and the NFS datastore gets unmounted from the ESX host automatically.

I don't think the manually removement of VM and NFS datastore it is a wanted feature in v6.1, isn't it? Can anybody help?

Regards, Michael
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Terminating an Instant Recovery Session

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Michael,

Virtual machine should be unregistered form the VI right after you click the "stop publishing" button. This process hasn't been changed in v6, so you should see exactly the same behavior as you had in v5.

I would recommend to reach our technical support team and provide Instant Recovery job log for further investigation, as it seems like the API call that removes a recovered VM from the VI cannot be performed for some reason.

Thanks!