Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
randomb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Lars Knakkergaard

questions on regards of recovery and restore

Post by randomb »

dear all Veeamers..

A customer of ourers had a breakdown of their vmware esxi server, where a old raid5 died on a rebuild, and had hard corruption,

So status is now we have nothing but 4 days old full backup of both server, (and +1 of replica) and the rest is based on remote backup software.

I wondering what would be the best approach regarding veeam?

Im think new host, with latest software,

Then perform a Full Recovery for both servers from their nas to the new host

But is there anway to apply the snapshots from the replica backup?

(my wet dreams was, if you were able to do a instant restore - while reinstallation the host) then do a move to the production server ( if thats possible? )

advise here would be appriciated, ive restored alot of Things from veeam but actually never had the need to perform a server in production only test wise.

So i hope some you seniors have a Word of advice. :cry:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: questions on regards of recovery and restore

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Lars,
randomb wrote:But is there anway to apply the snapshots from the replica backup?
Unfortunately, I do not understand what you mean here. Could you please clarify?
randomb wrote:(my wet dreams was, if you were able to do a instant restore - while reinstallation the host) then do a move to the production server ( if thats possible? )
Yes, that's possible. See this post from foggy for further details: Instant recovery question

Thanks!
randomb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Lars Knakkergaard

Post by randomb »

Hello Vitatality S.

im just thinking if we start the replica directly from vsphere all the snapshots is still Applied i would like to get free of that part ? but im thinking we have to get veeam to move to the production storage?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you only need the latest restore point, then you can consolidate existing snapshots manually and then move this VM back to production storage/site. Alternatively, you can use Veeam B&R to move this VM back to production site via replication/migration jobs.