Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
woodwars
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Scott Woodward

Proxy Server or not???

Post by woodwars »

I have been reading and watching some of the video's on Veeam's website and hear them talking about a proxy server? My questions is do I need one and will it improve my backup process?

My environment is two physical Windows 2003 servers running veeam Backup 6.1, both of my backup servers can see all of the vCenter Data center stores, and I'm backing up to EMC DataDomain. The SAN is connected over fiber channel into two HBA's on both backup servers. Also, the backup server's has a second network card setup on the "backup network" that talks to the Datadomain over a 10 gig connection.

So my questions here is if I'm using Fiber connected SAN to access my vCenter ESXi4.1 farm and my backup to DataDomain is over the second nic on a backup network would or can I deploy a proxy server and will it help performance on backup jobs? And second were is some documentation on this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Proxy Server or not???

Post by foggy »

Scott, your setup looks quite solid. If you are happy with your current backup performance and your backups do not exceed backup window, you do not need additional proxy servers (your physical servers already have the default proxy servers installed as a part of the product installation). To better understand proxies conception and when they are required, please review the sticky FAQ topic and the product user guide available on the Veeam B&R web page under the Resources tab. Should you have more questions, feel free to ask here.