Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rlebelle
Lurker
Liked: never

New to Veam. Backup Failing

Post by rlebelle »

I am trying to perform a backup of one of our VirtualServers on ESX4. It continues to fail with the following message...

Releasing VM files CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef 304, timeout 1800000, snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescripti
on "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory False, quiesce True Anoth
er task is already in progress.

Applicsiton looks promising but kind of stuck at this point

Something I am missing? :D ? Thanks for the help in advance
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: New to Veam. Backup Failing

Post by Gostev »

Is it the only VM affected? From the top of my head, I don't recall issues like this reported before. It would be best if you contact our support with logs from Help | Support information.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Also can you tell us please what type of VM (type of OS) you're trying to backup? If you're running Windows 2003,2008 OS on your guest VM, it is better to use VSS option rather than VMware Tools quiescence, you can disable quiescence and enable VSS at advanced settings of your job.

With the Enable VSS integration option selected, Veeam Backup and Replication 3.1 utilizes the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) that ensures consistent backup of VSS‐aware application running within your virtual machines (domain controllers, databases and other applications) without shutting them down. The Enable VSS integration option allows creating a transactionally consistent backup image of a VM, which, in contrast to a crash‐consistent backup image, ensures successful VM recovery, as well as proper recovery of all applications installed on the VM without any data loss.

By the way, are you able to do a snapshot manually using VIC or MOB (Managed Object Browser) with quiescence option enabled?
ssimakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Stanislav Simakov

Post by ssimakov »

rlebelle, this message means that your ESX/VC is busy with something else at the moment when the product tries to create a snapshot. Is this issue reproducible and if so are you able to create snapshot manually using VI client?