Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
5150cd
Influencer
Liked: never

LSI CacheCade Thoughts

Post by 5150cd »

My current 4 x 2TB 7200 rpm SAS drives in RAID 10 don't seem to be cutting the mustard anymore for my backup storage doing reverse incrementals and I'm looking at upgrading to something faster. I have a LSI 9266-8i card with Cachecade and I'm curious if anyone has done any testing with CacheCade and reverse incrementals and what their thoughts were on it.

Thanks!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: LSI CacheCade Thoughts

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
I didn't knew about Cachecade until I read it from you so i browsed a little about it. We have at our own datacenter some NAS created with supermicro servers and LSI controllers compatible with Cachecade, and since we were looking at ways to improve speed on those huge&cheap sata storages, this could be for sure a good solution.
If I'm going to test it I will for sure report back, thanks.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
5150cd
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by 5150cd »

That would be great, I'd love to hear your results!
Jfmoots
Veeam Software
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: James Moots

Post by Jfmoots »

5150cd wrote:My current 4 x 2TB 7200 rpm SAS drives in RAID 10 don't seem to be cutting the mustard anymore for my backup storage doing reverse incrementals and I'm looking at upgrading to something faster. I have a LSI 9266-8i card with Cachecade and I'm curious if anyone has done any testing with CacheCade and reverse incrementals and what their thoughts were on it.

Thanks!
You've probably already got this covered, but just in case...

Be sure you're running the latest patch for 6.1. There's specific improvements with transforms that might also help.