Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AlexWhit
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Whittaker

Replication VERY SLOW 5MB/s

Post by AlexWhit »

can anyone please help me on this. i just upgraded vShpere server to 5.1 and the replication is ridiculously sow. so far it has taken 45hours to do 845gb and that is only 52% the target looks to be the bottleneck @99% but there is nothing on that host. this is an empty host with a new replication setup?

thanks for any help
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Replication VERY SLOW 5MB/s

Post by dellock6 »

Remember first of all vSphere 5.1 is not supported on Veeam B&R 6.1
If the upgrade was the only change to your environments, which speed did you had before the upgrade, do you have some numbers? Did they get worst after upgrade?

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Plus, you say pretty nothing about your setup. Is this onsite replication? What proxy server(s) do you use and what transport modes are used to read/write data from/to the datastores?
AlexWhit
Enthusiast

Post by AlexWhit »

Sorry for the lack of info. i have just uninstalled 5.1 server and reinstalled.5.0

i am just running the backup as that failed.

we have 2 sites connected by a 300mb wireless bridge unfortunately the proxies are both on 1 site. i am currently installing a proxy on the remote host and i am going to use that. once this is done i will run the replication and update again.

thanks
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Ah ok, this is pretty much the problem, as per best practices you need one proxy at each side of the wan replica to have better results.

Let us know how it goes once you have two proxies.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
AlexWhit
Enthusiast

Post by AlexWhit »

it is still very slow but when i go int o the client it just hangs when i try and view the job. for what i can tell i am getting 7MB/s and it is the networkt hat is the bottle neck. i will wait for the full job to finish
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 2 people like this post

While you may be using a "300Mb" wireless bridge, it's important to know that, with wireless, unlike wired ethernet, what you typically see is about 1/2 of the actual negotiated rate between the two bridges and 300Mb is the maximum wireless data rate and assumes practically perfect conditions that rarely exist in the real world to achieve a 40Mhz wide channel with a MCS index of 15 (the highest). If you actually managed a 40MHz, MCS 15 link, you'd probably get around 150Mb of actual data transfer after all of the overhead.

However, far more likely is that you will negotiate an MCS index lower than 15, based on distance, antennas, and other environmental conditions. I've seen real world MCS typically range from 7-12 assuming proper antenna alignment, minimal interference, and moderate distance. Even at MCS 12 the data rate is only 180Mb, which means a transfer rate of ~90Mb, or about 10MB/sec. Sounds like you are getting even less than that (7MB/s) so may be seeing and MCS of 10 or so, which is only a 90Mb rate, ~45Mb transfer rate.

I would fully expect the network to be the bottleneck in this case. If you can find out any detail about the actual wireless rate that is negotiated, or measure the available bandwidth in some way, that would help to see what's really available.