IT'S OUT - go get your 6.5 bits!

Post by jpeake »

Downloading now
jpeake
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times

Re: IT'S OUT - go get your 6.5 bits!

Post by jpeake »

everyone please stop downloading it. my DL speed is in the toilet now.
johnlong
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Post by johnlong »

jpeake wrote:Downloading now
You first, let us know how it goes! :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

jpeake wrote:my DL speed is in the toilet now
Should not be the case as we're using Amazon with CloudFront option for primary download location. Good luck trying to saturate this beast ;)
bfoley
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brian Foley

Post by bfoley » 1 person likes this post

It was a fast download. The upgrade worked flawlessly as always!

Great work guys!
jpeake
Enthusiast
Liked: 25 times

Post by jpeake »

Gostev wrote: Should not be the case as we're using Amazon with CloudFront option for primary download location. Good luck trying to saturate this beast ;)
It was lunch time here, probably on our end...
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Post by zoltank » 1 person likes this post

When I tried running the upgrade on my 6.1 installation it gives me a warning which says it cannot install because some files are locked. It asks me to stop all running jobs, close the UI, and try it again. However, all the jobs are stopped and the UI is closed. I've even tried restarting the server and keep getting the same warning. I turned out I needed to wait several minutes before hitting retry for it to work.

I've also gotten a nice little boost in speed of about 15-20% using network backup. I wasn't expecting that...
ZachW
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Zach Weed

Post by ZachW » 1 person likes this post

zoltank wrote:When I tried running the upgrade on my 6.1 installation it gives me a warning which says it cannot install because some files are locked. It asks me to stop all running jobs, close the UI, and try it again. However, all the jobs are stopped and the UI is closed. I've even tried restarting the server and keep getting the same warning. I turned out I needed to wait several minutes before hitting retry for it to work.

I've also gotten a nice little boost in speed of about 15-20% using network backup. I wasn't expecting that...
When it comes to this ( I just got off of a call where this was occurring ) I would check task manager to see if there is anything hung up on the server [ being VeeamAgent.exe or VeeamBackupManager.exe etc. ].. If any of these exist I would recommend ending the processes and then if the issue still occurs then bounce the box and you should be good to go from there!

If the issue still does occur after that then feel free to open a support ticket!
sl4sh
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: d b

Post by sl4sh » 1 person likes this post

Simply awesome. It works as expected, upgrade went fast and fine, auto detects other components (i.e. backup proxy) that need the upgrade, and i was able to check out VEX out of the gate.
Coming from the Acronis update model, this is sublime!
Thanks for an awesome product
JoshF
Enthusiast
Full Name: Josh

Post by JoshF »

Any gotchas with the installation process? Or is it the same as 6 -> 6.1?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

My only gotcha is to test the new version in YOUR environment before you upgrade. Never a good idea to jump the gun and upgrade production deployment a few hours after release! Other than that, upgrade is very simple and yes, same as 6.0 to 6.1.
chrmol
Enthusiast
Full Name: Christian Moeller

Post by chrmol »

+1
theJonson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James Hall

Post by theJonson »

Any one else getting an error when trying to update to 6.5, the Windows Installer is throwing up the message "Error 1325: VBRCatalog is not a valid short file name." ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

James, please check whether you are following the upgrade guidelines outlined in the release notes. If you are performing everything right, then better contact support to see what's happening. We've never seen this kind of error during our internal testing.
smudger
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Neil Smith

Post by smudger » 3 people like this post

6.5 downloaded. Installed and running against our vCenter/vSphere 5.1 lab installation and is running like a train.
The new product seems faster than 6.x, and I would even go as far to say the proxy host appears to be using less resources!

So far so good. Great work Veeam!
Odarchuk
Novice
Full Name: Sasha Odarchuk

Post by Odarchuk »

smudger wrote:6.5 downloaded. Installed and running against our vCenter/vSphere 5.1 lab installation and is running like a train.
The new product seems faster than 6.x, and I would even go as far to say the proxy host appears to be using less resources!

So far so good. Great work Veeam!
any bags/errors/issues ???
http://odarchuk.com
TrevorBell
Veteran
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Trevor Bell

Post by TrevorBell »

Like the EXTREME compression mode :) 16 cores of 3gig processors saturated !!

Smooth upgrade process ( as always )

thanks

Team......
DennisRoos
Novice
Full Name: Dennis Roos

Post by DennisRoos »

Upgraded test environment yesterday, and ( of course :-) the upgrade process went very smooth.
All components upgraded at once - very nice procedure.

What we have seen so far is, the backups go very well (and even faster than before),
but, the new GUI is extreme sluggish when switching focus (eg. from'history' to 'jobs').
It will deliver the content finally, but it takes minutes sometime.

Have to investigate and maybe send in a support request on this.
TrevorBell
Veteran

Post by TrevorBell »

Dennis,

Im running two jobs concurrently 90 mb/s and 70mb/s and switching all GUI panes are totally fine ( even with cpu maxed at 100% )

thanks

Trev,,
DennisRoos
Novice
Full Name: Dennis Roos

Post by DennisRoos »

Trev: Thanks for info.

Everything else on the server is quick and responsivness is good, even when running jobs.
It's only the B&R gui that does something strange, giving me a lot of 'not responding'.
There is no cpu cost so it must be waiting for some kind of I/O (screen, mouse, network, database - who knows).

I'll reinstall Veeam B&R and see if that helps.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Might be either backend SQL issue, or UI bug. Definitely should not be worse than it was in 6.1 (lots of optimizations).
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

What version did you upgrade from? 6.1?
TrevorBell
Veteran

Post by TrevorBell »

hi tom,
myself i was on latest build and patch and did the upgrade ;)

trev..
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Post by zak2011 » 2 people like this post

A big Thanks to the Veeam R&D, to the Veeam Team, to the Veeam MVPs and to all the wholehearted folks who strived hard to make an excellent superior product like
Veeam.
Upgraded successfully to 6.5!
Congrats to the Veeam Team for bringing out 6.5 as promised!
Amazing team effort!
Thanks a ton for your efforts!
CvBarney
Influencer
Full Name: Christian van Barneveld

Post by CvBarney »

Upgraded test environment and it went very smooth! Great job Veeam with this new version.

One thing I was expecting in this new version, and apparently not there, is the vSphere 5.1 tag support! From a service provider perspective the new tags are great with 100's/1000's of VM's and we had hoped Veeam 6.5 should have supported this for the backup jobs. I hope this is a must have on your feature list for the next (minor) release.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

CvBarney wrote:vSphere 5.1 tag support
This feature was never requested before, and it will not make it on the must-have list until enough people request it. Many of the pending features have been requested hundreds of times, so sure enough they will get priority.

On a side note, I would expect most service providers to use vCloud Director and setup backup jobs based on vApps instead of tags?
CvBarney
Influencer
Full Name: Christian van Barneveld

Post by CvBarney »

Gostev wrote: This feature was never requested before, and it will not make it on the must-have list until enough people request it.
Thank you for your reply.
Never requested before? Sorry, I really can't believe this! Or people don't know how to request new features for Veeam or you don't talk with the right customers. Beside that the complexity with backup jobs is mentioned here several times. So instead of waiting for a specific a request you had the ability to solve this complexity with supporting this new VMware feature. It's not about features, it's about the users needs.

When tags where presented at VMworld the first thing I heard around me is "Wow! This would be great for Veeam backup jobs"! I've seen it at blogs, for example here where your product is used as an example:
http://blog.mwpreston.net/2012/10/17/us ... phere-5-1/

Our core business is managed hosting, not vCloud. We have an vCloud environment as well, and we have also use cases for tags for that: some vCloud customers don't want to backup all their VM's. We would add a backup selection to our customer portal where customers can select their VM's for backup on the background we add a "backup" tag via the API. I can explain many more use cases, and I'm you can as well.

At this moment we have complex (to manage) backup jobs for several customers: daily jobs, replication jobs, hourly jobs, weekly...etc. Folder structures doesn't work for this, so we where thrilled with the new tags and that's one of the features why we have planned the 5.1 upgrade for next month. But now I can communicate internally this upgrade won't solve our backup job complexity and manually work.

I hope some Veeam users/customers here at this forum can back me up with this feature request! I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one...
chrmol
Enthusiast
Full Name: Christian Moeller

Post by chrmol »

+1 for CvBarney suggestion :-)
peste
Enthusiast
Full Name: Stefan Petershofer

Post by peste »

Damn, during the Upgrade Process i´ve chosen the wrong DBe (had there veeamBackup & veeamBackup_Free). I decided to take veeamBackup and all my present jobs were gone (only old things, from an old installation). Can i check before i upgrade which table the current installation is using ? It´s veeamBackup_Free in my case. Can i make now a free installation ? This is only a test installation before i get in contact withy my customers to upgrade their veeam.

Sorry, for Off-Topic... a new installation (with choosing the right DB) helps a lot. But i now have no Catalog Service anymore. Is this ok ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

So I guess the OP's point has been made - 6.5 is here! And since this topic now quickly fills up with unmanagable mix of questions, feature requests, issue reports and offtopic - all unrelated to each other - I am locking it down to stop this.

Feel free to create a separate discussion for each topic you want to discuss, so that we can assist you more efficiently. Just remember that this is NOT a support forum, and mind the rules provided when you click New Topic. Thanks!