Business categorization for your virtual environment
alex_ilie
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexandru Ilie

Remove VMs from Uncategorized

Post by alex_ilie »

Hi. I would like to know if it is possible to remove some VMs from the UNCATEGORIZED section of a CATEGORY. How can this be done? I do not want some of them to be in there, i do not need them. Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Remove VMs from Uncategorized

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Alexandru,

You can exclude these VMs from categorization at all by choosing a corresponding option. See our User Guide (page 38) for more details.

Hope this helps.
alex_ilie
Influencer

Post by alex_ilie »

Vitaliy, Thank you for your answer. I think i have made myself missunderstood. When I create a category and say that I want to work only with VMs on that category, there is a default group called UNCATEGORIZED. Than one holds all the vms published in the virtual infrastructure. To categorize the VMs i have to create some extra folders and assign the VMs to each folder. This way the VMs will be, lets say, removed from UNCATEGORIZED section and moved into the Folder i chose. The idea is that in the VM section -> Details i see only the VMs which have not been categorized, and this is ok. Here comes the tricky part. If I create a new categori, and I want to work also with VMs, I will have a new default group called UNCATEGORIZED. If I go to VM -> Details and try to assign a VM to a folder created in the second category, I will see that the VMs which have been assigned to the first category can be assigned to the second category as well, and if i create 10 categories, all of them will have a group called UNCATEGORIZED and for each VM I will still have 9 possibilities to assign that VM to another category (10 - 1, 1 is the group to which that Vm has ben assigned to). So what I want to do is:
1. Create a category (i did)
2. Create a group or more in a category (i did)
3. Assign to each group some VMs (i did)
4. Remove the VMs i do not need from the defaul group called UNCATEGORIZED (i do not want to see the VMs i do not need for that category in VM -> Details section, where I assign each VM to a group)
Do you understand me? I have tried to explai this as best as possible. :) Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In this case I would suggest hiding all uncategorized objects from the graphs view (User Guide - page 24). Is it what you're looking for?
alex_ilie
Influencer

Post by alex_ilie »

Hi. Yes, hiding would help too. I will see how this can be done. Its good that its possible. I will get back if i have any other questions. Thank you!
alex_ilie
Influencer

Post by alex_ilie »

Ok, how do i hide the VMs from UNCATEGORIZED group? Thank you! :?:
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You cannot hide anything from uncategorized group. The only way to remove objects from uncategorized group is either to exclude them from categorization or assign to a particular group within the category.

Could you please give me an example why you would want to remove objects from uncategorized group but keep objects in Business View (no to exclude them at all)?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

I am not following the use case either. If you completely don't care to categorize specific VMs, just exclude them from categorization completely, as Vitaly already explained. Otherwise, if you do want to have them categorized, then yes, you do have to put them to some category!

I guess, if you do not want to exclude some VMs from categorization completely, but also do not want them hanging as UNCATEGORIZED, then why not create "My uncategorized VMs" VM category, and move all currently uncategorized VMs there?
murda
Enthusiast
Full Name: murda

Post by murda »

I found no way to get the "uncategorized" VM's to hide or remove when I look at Veeam One Monitor.

I just setup categories depending VM use/purpose.
Eg:

Categorie: Citrix
Group: Citrix

Then assigned a rule to get all the VM's containing a certain name to be assigned to the "Citrix" group.
Now when I look in Veeam One Monitoring I can see under categorie "Citrix" the following groups "Citrix" and "Uncategorized".

The uncategorized group is cluttering the Monitoring View and It would be better by default to have an option to disable this group.

I tried different things to remove the vm's from the uncategorized view but nothing worked.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Have you tried excluding these objects from BV completely?
murda
Enthusiast

Post by murda »

But that's not what I want, the uncategorized VM's that are in "Citrix' are used in other Categories like 'File Server' or 'Domain Controllers'.

I don't want to see the 'uncategorized' group or the VM's in the "uncategorized" group.

If I go to Veeam One BV and select "workspace" and then select categorie "Citrix" then I only see the Citrix server and that's also what I want to see in Veeam One Monitor.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Got it! Thanks for the feedback, let me see what we can do for you in the next updates.
murda
Enthusiast

Post by murda »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Got it! Thanks for the feedback, let me see what we can do for you in the next updates.
Was just replying on my own reply when you posted. :)
The problem is, I wanted to work under 1 categorie group but then It didn't allow me to put more VM's in a different group.
That's why instead of making seperate groups under one categorie, I was forced to make categories instead of groups.

But now I am stuck with the annoying "uncategorized" group in every categorie...
murda
Enthusiast

Post by murda »

Vitaly,

Any workaround in the new version for my problem (see below).
Because I didn't find any...
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi murda, the enhancement you've requested is already scheduled for the next update. Currently there is no workaround available.