Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vUnity
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian J. Brandon

Veeam 6.5 TCP Window Size

Post by vUnity »

How do you increase TCP Window Size on an ESXi 5.1 host via Veeam 6.5?

I'm getting about 20Mbps across the WAN for each single job but the network can go much faster. I can increase TCP window size on an ESX 4.1 host via veeam -> virtual machines -> host -> properties and when I do, the speed more than doubles. I Just can't find the setting to modify TCP window size on an ESX5.1 host via Veeam 6.5.

Thanks,

-Brian
Brian J. Brandon
CCNP | MCSE:Security | MCITP:EA
vUnity Bonded DSL
Http://www.vUnity.com
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Veeam 6.5 TCP Window Size

Post by Gostev »

Brian - this setting was never available for ESXi architecture, only for "fat" ESX. This was configurable because we ran our own backup agent on the host, and were able to tune its communication. Legacy architecture no longer applies to ESXi, as it is designed to be backed up agentlessly.

However, you can still control this between proxy and repository servers, by opening up the properties dialog of the corresponding server. This way, proxy and repository will communicate over WAN using larger packet size.
vUnity
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian J. Brandon

Post by vUnity »

I never fully understood the need for a proxy and the simplicity of a single veeam server with tons of local storage always outweighed the complexity.

Can you point me toward a good architectural white paper on the benefits of deploying proxy servers?

-Brian

P.S.
Is there any way thread a single job?
Brian J. Brandon
CCNP | MCSE:Security | MCITP:EA
vUnity Bonded DSL
Http://www.vUnity.com
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

vUnity wrote:I never fully understood the need for a proxy and the simplicity of a single veeam server with tons of local storage always outweighed the complexity
If your single backup server fails to process VMs within the defined backup window, then you should consider deploying additional backup proxies to distribute the load between existing backup server and proxy servers. Besides, even if your backup jobs complete within the desired backup window, it will always be a good idea to deploy additional backup proxy and keep it in a standby mode. With this deployment you will always have your VM backups even when one of the proxy servers dies for some reason.

Please see our User Guide (page 12) for furhter information on proxy servers.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

vUnity wrote:simplicity of a single veeam server with tons of local storage always outweighed the complexity.
But did not you just say that you are backing up over WAN? This kind of contradicts with this statement.