Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
neojohn
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Neo john

created an Exclude Virtual Disks backup and system down

Post by neojohn »

HI,
i Have a file server in Ubuntu 10.4. There are two storage disk in this VM. one is system disk of 10GB and another one is datadrive of 1.9 TB. The vm has a snapshot of 500GB and nearly 1 year old (i know. just found out it). i decided to take a backup of system files before i remove snapshots. so i took a backup of system drive which is only 10GB. after taking backup, the host trying to delete the snapshot and it is just stuck in 99% in veeam B&R 6.5 and removing snapshot in ESXi host is 95%. the system is down and nobody can access anything . i didn't know taking just a simple backup would have created such a fine mess. Please help !
When Veeam trying to remove backup, is it really trying just remove 4mb snapshot? then why is system down?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: created an Exclude Virtual Disks backup and system down

Post by veremin »

Please, be aware that the process of creating and removing snapshot is handled solely by VMware (specifically by ESXi host), Veeam is just playing the “requestor” role. So, it seems like your issue should be addressed by VMware itself.
When Veeam trying to remove backup, is it really trying just remove 4mb snapshot? then why is system down?
This statement stays unclear to me. Are you probably referring to the removal of Veeam Snapshot? In this case yes, VB&R is trying to delete only the snapshot created during job run; whole previously existed snapshot tree stays unaffected.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
neojohn
Novice

Post by neojohn »

i had a back up of exchange server in another host. it seems like it stop responding now. cant ping...all power options are grayed out...
neojohn
Novice

Post by neojohn »

v.Eremin wrote:Please, be aware that the process of creating and removing snapshot is handled solely by VMware (specifically by ESXi host), Veeam is just playing the “requestor” role. So, it seems like your issue should be addressed by VMware itself.
This statement stays unclear to me. Are you probably referring to the removal of Veeam Snapshot? In this case yes, VB&R is trying to delete only the snapshot created during job run; whole previously existed snapshot tree stays unaffected.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Thank you!. but the systems are down while it remove its temporary snapshots..Do you know why this happens ?
neojohn
Novice

Post by neojohn »

OK. the file server is up now !
neojohn
Novice

Post by neojohn »

The exchange server is up now. I can see the the removing snapshot process just finish now. until now, both servers were down. Why is it happens like this?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Problem of VM loosing ping during snapshot commitment has been previously discussed in this topic. So, please take a look.

Thanks.
neojohn
Novice

Post by neojohn »

Thank YOU !