Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
zak2011
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Arun

Backing up a VM on a different network

Post by zak2011 »

Hi,
Recently we had to move one of our VMs to a seperate ESX host with an additional network card configured on a seperate network controlled by a govt entity due to govt legal requirements.
I can add the VM from Veeam backup job. It works fine as long as i dont enable application aware image processing.
However as this VM is on a different network when application aware image processing is enabled the backup fails also after creating a seperate user account with admin privelages on that VM. The VM is not accessible by UNC name from the Veeam server. Would adding an additional network interface configured for that network on the Veeam server help or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backing up a VM on a different network

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Arun, assuming your question is about VMware (I will move the topic to the correct subforum once you confirm), actually network connection from backup server to VM is not required for the application-aware processing to work. Make sure you are using the actual local Administrator account on this VM (and not just a member of Local Administrators group). Thanks!
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

Thats correct. It would be better to move it to the VMware subforum. Strange though! I did try using the local Administrator account on this VM..however says Cannot connect to the host's administrative share.
Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Please make sure the VM has VMware Tools installed, and open the support case for further troubleshooting.
ZachW
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Zach Weed

Post by ZachW » 1 person likes this post

Just to add on to Gostev's post if the VM is not accessible through the network then AAIP should be able to be called through the use of VIX.. So there is a likely a failure that you are not seeing within the real-time statistics. As gostev said it would be best to open up a support case so that we can look through the logs and see why the use of VIX is failing.
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 »

The VM has Vmware tools installed. I will open a support case and update the post.
Thanks for the help Gostev and Zach!
zak2011
Veteran

Post by zak2011 » 2 people like this post

Support resolved the issue. Pretty surprising the logs showed as the following VIX Error:The guest does not support empty passwords Code:3033-
Seemed like something was going wrong with the credentials when each time I thought i was putting in the required credentials.
Really glad it was resolved!

Thanks!