Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jlester
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Lester

SQL Backup Issues after vSphere 5.1 Upgrade/Migration

Post by jlester »

I am having issues backing up my SQL server after we did an upgrade of our entire infrastructure from vSphere 4.1 to 5.1 this week. In the process, we also moved the vSphere databases (VCDB, VCUM, SSO) over to our main SQL server (they were previously on the vCenter server). The Veeam databases also reside on that same SQL server.

We now cannot get a successful backup of the SQL server. I read through the docs and forum postings about backing up directly from the host that holds the SQL server versus through vCenter, but that does not seem to work for us either. I did an exclusion in our main Windows backup job for the SQL server. I then added the host that holds it using the host's IP address. I did a new job with the SQL server from that host. I have tried it both with snapshots and without, but it always fails. This is the specific error I am getting:

"Error: Cannot complete operation due to concurrent modification by another operation. Timed out waiting for all VDDK disks to close."

When this happens, we also get a pop-up on the Veeam server that says this:

"Microsoft SQL server hosting the configuration database is currently unavailable."

Any ideas what is going on with this? Should I be able to successfully backup an SQL server that holds both the vCenter and Veeam databases? If so, what do I need to change to get it working?

Thanks,
Jason
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: SQL Backup Issues after vSphere 5.1 Upgrade/Migration

Post by Gostev »

Please include support case ID with any technical issue you post on these forums, as requested when you click New Topic. Topics about technical issues which do not include support case ID are removed permanently by moderators.

Judging on the error, the issue has nothing to deal with the fact that the VM is running SQL... would probably have this issue even if the VM in question did not have an operating system installed. Some sort of infrastructure issue here, most likely.
jlester
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Lester

Re: SQL Backup Issues after vSphere 5.1 Upgrade/Migration

Post by jlester »

Sorry, I missed that. I didn't have to do that the last time I had an issue. I just opened a case with attached logs. The case number is 00180090.

Thanks,
Jason