Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
PedroVDP
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Understanding the Proxy selection algorythm

Post by PedroVDP »

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand how backup proxies are selected?

I have an environment with
2 physical proxies who are also repository servers, both have the same SAN access
2 virtual proxy appliances

The second physical server is a recent addition since the first could no longer handle all the storage and processing needs. However I now see that 3 jobs are running on the old server (which has lower capacity) while only 1 on the new server and none on the virtual proxies while the target repository resides on the server running only 1 job??

All jobs are configured using automatic selection.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Understanding the Proxy selection algorythm

Post by veremin »

For better understanding of automatic selection algorithm please see this sticky FAQ.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Understanding the Proxy selection algorythm

Post by foggy »

Pedro, basically, proxy selection algorithm is pretty simple. If automatic proxy selection is used, Veeam B&R selects the most efficient proxy in terms of source data retrieval transport mode. So in your case, physical proxies are selected over virtual as direct SAN access is more preferable transport method than Virtual Appliance. However, between the two physical proxies the one with least tasks currently assigned should be picked up (so ideally they should share tasks equally 2-2 between them). Are you sure both proxies have the same level of access to all the LUNs where backed up VMs reside and you do not limit the number of tasks on the second (new) proxy to 1?