Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kurt
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Robert

Cloud Trial Key?

Post by kurt »

Downloading the trial and the email says I need to obtain a key. The product is not listed on the License Management Portal so where is the trial key?

In addition, I have no idea how much cloud edition cost. Contacting a reseller is annoying. Sounds like a nice product though. Looking forward to trying it once the download finishes!
kurt
Enthusiast

Re: Cloud Trial Key?

Post by kurt »

Found the answer in the quick start guide...

"Install a license. Veeam Backup & Replication and Veeam Cloud Backup use the same license file."
kurt
Enthusiast

Post by kurt »

A couple questions come to mind. Quick start says we can use Veeam free edition but still need a license key for cloud backup. That means we can purchase only the cloud software and is it less expensive if we are only using veeam free edition?

Secondly, if our repository is a Windows 7 machine, is it best to install Cloud software on the same Windows 7 machine where the repo is or should it be installed on the Veeam V&R server?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

kurt wrote:That means we can purchase only the cloud software and is it less expensive if we are only using veeam free edition?
Yes, you can install Veeam B&R Cloud Edition with Veeam B&R Free edition. Please take a look at all available options for Veeam B&R Cloud Edition: http://www.veeam.com/cloud-backup-vmware-hyper-v.html
kurt wrote:Secondly, if our repository is a Windows 7 machine, is it best to install Cloud software on the same Windows 7 machine where the repo is or should it be installed on the Veeam V&R server?
It doesn't matter, you can install Veeam B&R Cloud edition on any server.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Vitaliy S. wrote:It doesn't matter, you can install Veeam B&R Cloud edition on any server.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can only install the cloud component on the same server that the B&R management server is installed on, so you can't just install it on a repo server.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you want to have integration working (see session history from the Cloud edition in the main backup server console), then you need to install it on the Veeam B&R server, in all other cases Veeam B&R Cloud edition can be installed on any system.
kurt
Enthusiast

Post by kurt »

Thanks for the info. I'll probably keep it all on the B&R server. I only thought about putting it on the repo server so the data wouldn't have to be pulled across the network then uploaded to the cloud.

Is there documentation on the best way to create a backup job to reduce the amount of data uploaded to the cloud? In the video I watched they chose to only upload the full backup file but that file would need to be uploaded everyday depending on the job type. It seems we should only upload the changes everyday instead of the full backup.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Robert,

The best backup job mode for this configuration will be forward incremental, with this mode you will need to upload only increments (VIB files) during the week and once a week/two - full backup file (VBK file). On the other hand, if you're going to offload only full backups (for ex. once a week), then any mode will work just fine.

Thanks!