Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
greenpower
Novice
Liked: never

please help with simple setup

Post by greenpower »

Hello,

i would like to know what is the best solution for a simple backup scenario of a few VM's on a single hyper-v machine...
My questions are following..

1. Is it better to install Veeam B&R on the hyper-v itself or in a virtual machine ?
2. What if i loose my hyper-v including Veeam B&R? Can VM's be recovered just from the backup media?
3 Would it be a good choice to install Veeam B&R in a VM and back this machine up with simple Windows server 2012 Backup (since it can backup single VMs)?

thanks again for the great help
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: please help with simple setup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

1. It doesn't actually matter. You will need a proxy server on your Hyper-V host, so I would suggest installing Veeam B&R on that host.
2. Yes, to restore the VM you will need another copy of Veeam B&R server (just import backup files to the console and start the restore operation) or you can use our standalone utility named extract.exe (search these forums for more info) to restore your VM.
3. Yes, if you have a spare Windows OS license, then this would also be a good choice, but keep in mind that you can also use Veeam B&R to back up itself.

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: please help with simple setup

Post by veremin »

Would it be a good choice to install Veeam B&R in a VM and back this machine up with simple Windows server 2012 Backup (since it can backup single VMs)?
Otherwise, you can utilize configuration backup feature which was introduced in 6.5 version and which is responsible for retrieving configuration data from the VB&R SQL database.

So, nowadays there is no longer need for backing up VB&R server as a whole - in case of disaster, you can just re-install VB&R from the scratch and then import configuration.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.