Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kenrick
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Paul Rowan

Backup failure - incorrect login credentials

Post by kenrick »

Dear all,

Apologies if this is a very simple thing to resolve, I am brand new to Veeam and VCenter and just inherited both last week. I recently changed the domain admin password due to a senior member of the team leaving and now my Veeam backups are failing. I created a new service account and added it within Veeam under users and roles with domain admin rights. Also under Backup Infrastructure\Managed Server\servername I changed the password on the VMWare admin account.

I tried to test it by running a job ( that keeps failing ) and immediately get Access Denied.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Paul
kjc3303
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Kevin Clarke

Re: Backup failure - incorrect login credentials

Post by kjc3303 »

Hi Paul have you changed the credentials on your managed servers?
Backup Infrastructure -> Managed Servers->Edit Server

Cheers

Kev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Paul,

Do you have this error while connecting to vCenter Server? What type of repository server are you using? CIFS share? Have you restarted Veeam services after specifying new service account?

Thank you!
kjc3303
Expert

Post by kjc3303 »

Paul you will also need to change the credentials on you repository and proxy servers

Kev
kenrick
Novice

Post by kenrick »

Hi Kev,

I changed it on by right clicking the VCenter Server under the left hand column, when I click on the hosts on the right hand side and properties there is no option to change password. It simply does an update, probably the password change I made. I have tried to run the backup job again and still get Access Denied error.

Many thanks

Paul
kenrick
Novice

Post by kenrick »

Hi,
I have tried restarting the services but now Veeam won’t even open, stating incorrect login details. I am able to login to Vcenter just fine.
Apologies but no idea what CIFS share is nor what my repository server would be.

Many thanks

Paul
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Paul, does your new service account have access to Veeam SQL database? Seems like it does not ;)
kjc3303
Expert

Post by kjc3303 »

Paul do you have any windows servers in your backup infrastructure? these could be acting as repository\proxy servers and using the old credentials. The credentials can be changed the same way that you changed the vCenter ones.

Edit just seen the above- once you get back in that is :)
kenrick
Novice

Post by kenrick »

The old boss has removed the SQL tools from the server and I have had to try and install them. However this is failing too with Instance ID error.

Paul
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Well... you need to find a way to connect to the existing SQL Server and grant Veeam service account access to the configuration database. Once you do this, your backup jobs will work just fine.
kenrick
Novice

Post by kenrick »

Finally got onto the SQL and changed the permissions. Managed to get the Linux machines (Cisco IOS) backed up but still failing on the Windows Servers. No longer saying Access Denied when I run a manual job. Following error received however:

Failed to index guest file system. Details: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the host's administrative share. Host: [172.20.100.35]. Account: [hrsfc\administrator]. Win32 error:Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. Code: 1326 '

I have changed the password under the managed servers section but still no joy.

Many thanks

Paul
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

It might be worth doublechecking the provided credentials first.

Furthermore, I’m wondering whether “hrsfc” is the name of your domain or the name of the local machine.

As a workaround, if "hrsfc" is the name of your domain, you can probably specify local account, like MachineName\UserName, and see if it helps. Otherwise, try Domain\UserName format.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
kenrick
Novice

Post by kenrick »

Apologies, hrsfc is our domain name. Veeam was always working fine as hrsfc/administrator until we needed to change the domain admin password.

Paul
kjc3303
Expert

Post by kjc3303 »

Have you changed the credentials within the backup job it's self? (Guest processing Credentials)
kenrick
Novice

Post by kenrick »

No I haven't changed the credentials within the backup job, how do I go about doing that please?

Many thanks

Paul
kjc3303
Expert

Post by kjc3303 » 1 person likes this post

edit backup job, select guest processing (down the left) and you will see a credentials box which is used for vss and indexing, Change these

Kev
kenrick
Novice

Post by kenrick »

Thanks Kev, I will give that a go.

I checked the backup job that did work, ( Cisco IOS servers ) and the guest processing credentials box was greyed out. The backup job with all the Microsoft Servers have this available. Will give it a test!

Thanks for all your help.

Paul
kjc3303
Expert

Post by kjc3303 »

It's recommended to run Application aware image processing on all windows servers , the only server we do not is our Domino servers as we need to run pre-freeze and thaw scripts Guest file indexing will enable you to perform 1-click restores via Veeam enterprise manager.

Kev
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 2 people like this post

Just a small tip.

In order to change user credentials without editing each backup job, you can navigate to the Home Tab of the Veeam backup console (top left corner), select Configuration Backup -> choose Backup now and then click on "Restore" button. This will launch the configuration restore wizard, which will allow you to update user credentials used in all backup/replication jobs.
kenrick
Novice

Post by kenrick »

Hi all,

Thank you to everybody who helped me solve the issues I had with my backups failing. Everything working again now and I have learnt a lot too about Veeam in general.

Regards

Paul
stevenrodenburg1
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Steven Rodenburg

Post by stevenrodenburg1 »

Vitaliy, just a small question,

Is the trick: "doing a backup of the Veeam Config DB, then to actually, and immediately do a true config DB restore again", just to change the VSS credentials of all existing jobs simultaneously?

And what if several groups of jobs use different VSS credentials? Does this "trick" overwrite all of them, incl. jobs that have other VSS credentials than the main bulk of jobs?

I have not tried it yet, as i cannot predict all of the consequences just yet. Please elaborate.

Kind regards,
Steven
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

stevenrodenburg1 wrote:Is the trick: "doing a backup of the Veeam Config DB, then to actually, and immediately do a true config DB restore again", just to change the VSS credentials of all existing jobs simultaneously?
It's not just for VSS, it's for all user credentials used in the backup console, you just need to pick up the component (proxy, repository, job) you want to change user credentials for. Moreover, in the restore wizard you can specify the backup/replication jobs you want to apply new credentials to. Hope this helps!