Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
avrham_g
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Avi

offhost backup with local disk

Post by avrham_g »

Hi,
I've Hyper-V 2012 with 4 VM's on it that run on local DISK in RAID10.
i've another physical server with hyper-v 2012 that act as the B&R server (DR on same LAN).
on this server i do the replication of the VM's and the backup.
my question is – what are my options in this scenario to do an offhost backup?(I want to reduce pressure from the HOST while backup)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: offhost backup with local disk

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Avi,

I believe it should be possible, if setup Microsoft iSCSI target on your Hyper-V host, then install Microsoft VSS Hardware Provider on your proxy server (second host) and then mount your iSCSI server LUNs to the backup proxy (keep these disks in offline mode). In this case all the "work" should be processed by the Veeam proxy.

Thanks!
jeddytier4
Influencer
Liked: never

Post by jeddytier4 »

He isn't using iSCSI. I think the answer in this situation is no. Unless you are using some sort of "shareable" storage you can't do off-host proxy. Even then it requires a shared storage device with a hardware VSS that allows transportable snapshots to be created.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

He is not, but he could ;) In Windows Server 2012 you can install Microsoft iSCSI Server and then use iSCSI initiators to connect to this server. The setup I've described works well for one of our QC engineers (at least I was told so).