Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tomas.olsen
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tomas Olsen

Backup Exec SQL agent fail

Post by tomas.olsen »

Hello, I ran into a problem when I backup a virtual SQL server with veeam, without truncate of logs. And when Backup Exec SQL agent is doing a SQL backup afterwards.

Here is the error in BE:
The Backup Exec SQL Agent was not used to create the last full, differential, or log backup of this database. You must use the SQL Agent to run a full backup before you can run a differential backup or transaction log backup

Anyone experienced the same issue?
I have seen that BE have reported this error on several occasions and that there have been some fixes around.
But just to be clear: does Veeam touch SQL logs og database at all when I do a full VM backup including use of VSS, but not truncating logs?
Will the error persist if I turn off VSS when doing backup??
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup Exec SQL agent fail

Post by veremin »

With application aware image processing option enabled we directly talk to VSS in order to to create transactionally consistent backup of a VM running VSS-aware applications. Not only does it ensure successful VM recovery, as well as proper recovery of all applications installed on the VM without any data loss, but also it notifies applications about them being backed up.

I believe that’s why you see the corresponding Backup Exec error.
Will the error persist if I turn off VSS when doing backup??
From my perspective, it won't.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
tomas.olsen
Veeam ProPartner

Post by tomas.olsen »

Then the next question is:

How can we make sure that both veeam and backup exec is run successfully each time.
Have anybody else experienced the same issue? Maybe in combination with other agent based backup software or the use of maintenance plans in SQL server.
Or is it just Backup Exec that's a bit too sensitive?? and might need a patch.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

As I’ve said, you can just disable Application Aware Image Proccesing option and let VB&R be responsible for taking crash-consistent backup, while Backup Exec agent will do all VSS specific staff.

Thus, it will be guaranteed that both of the solutions aren’t intersected.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
tomas.olsen
Veeam ProPartner

Post by tomas.olsen »

Ok, will try to disable VSS and se how it goes in the next few days.

Any thoughts if using Quiesced snapshot i vsphere instead of vss might be of some help?
If not, I would suspect that if you do a manual snapshot of a vm with quiesced snapshot, this will also generate the same error in BE.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

In fact, you should be ok with just crash-consistent backup. SQL databases can be recovered from crash-consistent backup in most cases, as they are designed for this.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.