Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
knuter
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Knut R.

Backup(and restore) of Lync 2010/2013?

Post by knuter »

Hello,

Our guy responsible for Lync 2010/2013 is curious if anyone does backup of their Lync environment with Veeam Backup, and if anyone have had to restore their Lync VMs? If so, did everything go well?
I told him to make sure the VSS writers are working and then everything should be fine, but maybe someone has some tips or tricks? We found very little info about Veeam Backup and Lync together, so I guess that either a good thing... or a bad thing. Hopefully the first one :)

Thanks.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Backup(and restore) of Lync 2010/2013?

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Knut,
we do daily backups of our Lync servers but honestly we never had to restore them. We enabled VSS and let backups go, no problem at all about backups.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
AndyGDIT
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Andrew Frye

Post by AndyGDIT »

Same here I backup all of my Lync 2010 Servers with Veeam with execption of the Database Servers, because for some reason or another they decided to use Physical RDM for a shared storage between the two DBs. I have not had to restore any of them which is a good thing.

Andy
knuter
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Knut R.

Post by knuter »

Thanks for the replies :)
This assured our Lync guy. If anyone have to restore their Lync VMs, feel free to post your experiences here.

Knut
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If anyone have to restore their Lync VMs, feel free to post your experiences here
You might be the first one to share an experience with the community. :D
pesos
Expert
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: John Johnson

Post by pesos »

I know this is an old thread but it's the only one I could find and figured might as well keep some continuity going instead of starting from scratch. With skype for business the underlying server configuration is not significantly different than Lync was, so the question is basically the same.

We currently back up all servers (backend, frontend, mediation, and edge) with b&r. We also use b&r to replicate the backend/frontend servers from one datacenter to another for disaster recovery purposes (2nd datacenter has its own set of mediation and edge servers). Like others here, we have never had to do a restore (knock on wood). Does anyone have additional data points to share?