Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
johnlong
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

V7 Q, Can you replicate using san Snapshots?

Post by johnlong »

Just wondering.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: V7 Q, Can you replicate using san Snapshots?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John, can you clarify your question a bit? Do refer to using replication jobs from SAN snapshots or replicating SAN snapshot to another SAN device?
johnlong
Enthusiast

Post by johnlong »

Using replication jobs from SAN snapshots. I don't currently use SAN snapshots on my P4000 VSA but if Veeam replication jobs could use SAN snapshots I'm hoping the delay to the vm caused by using vmware snapshots can be eliminated.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, you will be able to create VM replicas from SAN snapshots in v7.
johnlong
Enthusiast

Post by johnlong »

That is awesome! Thanks.
Gary_Pollard
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Pollard

Post by Gary_Pollard »

Forgive me asking this to be spelt out in large font, (on a billboard would be great thanks) but are we saying that instead of VM snapshots, Veeam 7 will be able to use SAN snapshots for backups and therefore eliminate the VM freeze issue that is a minor annoyance for some and extremely problematic for others? (We fall into the second category, thus my extreme interest).
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden »

We still take a VM snapshot , but it is only open for the time it takes to do the SAN snapshot. The issue we are looking to eliminate is where the commit of a VM level snapshot after the backup process can take some time on IO intensive VM's
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Gary, backup from SAN snapshots will be available for HP StoreVirtual VSA, LeftHand and 3PAR storages. Here is the official press release for more details.
Gary_Pollard
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Gary Pollard

Post by Gary_Pollard »

We still take a VM snapshot , but it is only open for the time it takes to do the SAN snapshot. The issue we are looking to eliminate is where the commit of a VM level snapshot after the backup process can take some time on IO intensive VM's

This, I believe is the issue we experience, around 5% of our backups when run hourly would have a freeze of the vm for longer that 3 sec when the snapshot was being removed / resolved; this delay would disconnect data session for some users and they would often lose their work in the process. If what you describe will reduce the chance of this occurring to a negligible level (preferably never) then I will be very happy. We have a HP LeftHand SAN so we look to be in business when Veeam 7 is released. This is fantastic news, as hourly backups were the great promise of Veeam and we unfortunately found that they were not achievable for us without an unacceptable risk of data disruption. Bring on version 7!! :D