Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
keithkleiman
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Keith Kleiman

Override the "Virtual Machine Disk Space Analysis" monitor

Post by keithkleiman »

If I wanted to disable the "Veeam VMware: Virtual Machine Disk Space Analysis" monitor on all vms that have an OpsMgr agent could I just override this monitor and target the "Veeam OpsMgr agents running in VMWare vms" group? We are already monitoring the logical disks free space from the base Windows mp so I don't believe we would need this to be monitored, but correct me please if I am missing something.

Also I recall in nworks 5.7 there was a way to disable all vm disk space collection from the enterprise manager dashboard. Is this still available? If not how can I do this with v.6? Perhaps disabling some collection rule? I don't want to imapact any other analysis monitors that might be helpful.

Thanks!
Keith
nico.weytens
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nico Weytens

Re: Override the "Virtual Machine Disk Space Analysis" monit

Post by nico.weytens »

I have disabled that monitor as well for the same reason: we use the Base OS MP for our Windows servers, and are not interested in the disk space of the Linux and VDI VM's. Linux team has their own monitoring.
The correct target for the override is class "VMware Virtual Machine".

If you want to stop collection of VM free space all together you'll probably have to disable rule "VMGUEST.Collect.freeMB".
From the product knowledge:
This rule collects the performance metric VMGuest-disk \ freeMB for VMware virtual machines.
Metric definition:
The amount of free space (in MB) on this virtual disk.
Disabling this rule will stop collection of the metric into Ops Mgr and it will not be visible in views and reports. However any monitor based on the same metric will continue to function.

For reporting reasons I have not disabled this rule myself.

Monday morning edit... :roll:
I see you mean you want to disable the monitor on VM's with an OpsMgr Agent only.
In our environment the "VMware VMs that run Ops Mgr Agents" group is empty, but the "Veeam Ops Mgr agents running VMwar VMs" group should be usable. If not I'd turn to smarter guys here :wink:
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

Please use "Veeam Ops Mgr agents running VMwar VMs" group for such purposes. You can override to disable the following performance collection rules:

VMGUEST.Collect.freePct
VMGUEST.Collect.freeMB

Also we have a correlation monitor which alerts on freeMB counter falling below threshold:

Veeam VMware: Virtual Machine Disk Space Analysis.

With respect to your question about disabling collection of disk space metrics - this was necessary because in 5.7 it was possible to discover disks as child objects of a virtual machine, which in many cases led to performance degradation. To improve performance we've removed child objects in v6 and discovery of such objects is disabled by default. To disable collection of metrics in SCOM, the corresponding rules should be disabled.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

I think I need to correct myself, the group I was mentioning in my previous post will not work for Overrides targeted to a Virtual Machine Object. The other "VMware VMs that run Ops Mgr Agents" group doesn't work correctly in 6.0 and is always empty, we'll fix it in the next update. This issue doesn't affect any core functionality of our MP, however the group which may be used for overrides we are discussing in this forum thread doesn't work correctly.

I have created a custom MP which creates two groups:

"Veeam VMware VMs with SCOM Agent" - this group contains VMs which run SCOM agent inside
"Veeam Windows Computers VMs with SCOM agent" - this group contains Windows Computer objects which run SCOM agent and have been identified as VMware VMs

You can use this MP to create necessary overrides for Virtual Machine or Windows Computer objects. In the next version of our MP we will fix the issue with groups.

MP can be downloaded here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxwETGw ... luLTg/edit (supports SCOM2012, let me know if 2007R2 version is required - I'll make it 2007R2-compatible)

Thanks.
pbhimji
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Prakash Bhimji

Post by pbhimji »

Hello,

Great article regarding the Virtual Machine DIsk Space Analysis monitor override, we are currently running veaam 6.5 on our SCOM 2007 R2 environment, any chance you can please provide me with MP for SCOM 2007R2

Thank you
Prakash Bhimji
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hello,

I've created a 2007 version of this MP, also with additional vcenter name expression as you've requested in your separate thread. Hope it works for you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxwETG ... sp=sharing

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks.

P.S. SCOM 2007 is so... :) I'm just saying for 2012 we have some much more cool goodies, in new dashboards for example