Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lukeup
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Luke

Adding extra server and storage

Post by lukeup »

Hello,

Need some advice on expanding the current Veeam set up.
At the moment there is one physical Veeam B&R server backing up one ESXi host\10 VMs to local storage on the Veeam server. Plus replication to a second ESXi host.
There is now going to be two more ESXi hosts with replication between plus backup the same as before.
Is it best to have another physical Veeam proxy server with local storage to backup PLUS a VM Veeam proxy on the two production hosts for replication.
Or is there a better way?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Adding extra server and storage

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

If your existing physical Veeam B&R server is capable of double backup load (being both the proxy and backup repository for all the activity), then there's no need for an additional one. Otherwise, you can set up proxy VMs on the production hosts and spread the load between them.

Additionally, it is worth adding virtual proxies on the replication hosts also so that replica VMs could be populated with data using hotadd transport mode for optimal performance.
lukeup
Influencer

Post by lukeup »

Thanks for the reply.
Because I will be effectively doubling the ESXi servers, I will need to double the storage, that was the main purpose of another physical server, which will also act as a Veeam proxy to manage the extra load\jobs.
OR
Should I set up Veeam proxies on all four ESXi servers (2 x production to 2 x DR) for backup and replication and just use the new physical server for storage?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

To me the second option is more easy to manage. Also depends on whether the single backup repository is capable of the new load.

Btw, what transport mode do you currently use to retrieve VMs data from the source storage?
lukeup
Influencer

Post by lukeup »

Network mode
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Have you considered a deployment of virtual proxy and hot add mode utilization? Might lead to increased performance rates. Thanks.