Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

hp lefthand vss writer, veeam, server 2012

Post by frankive »

I have a problem that my hyper-v nodes gets a reboot from time to time.
I am running Veeam 6.5, Windows Server 2012 (fully patched up tp date) and a lefthand P4300 running OS 10.0.
From the event viewer I see this reboot always is because of the HP vss writer during Veeam backup. I have also tried to run a month with DPM 2012 SP! but got a reboot or two with that software too.
I think the problems is more a HP bug but I was hoping to hear if someone here could share if someone is facing the same issue?
From my San-console it seems like that Veeam create a new san-snapshot for each vm. Could this be too aggresive for the san? Maybe it should be just a large snapshot for all the vms at the same time? I am not too technincal on this so this is just speculation from my side.

I guess a workaround would be to disable the hardware vss provider. The backup of my vms takes apps. 90 min. with the hardare vss provider running from 1 AM to 2.30 AM.

Will i loose some functionality with just running the software vss or will it just take longer time?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: hp lefthand vss writer, veeam, server 2012

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Frank,

What kind of errors do you see in the Windows event log? Do you know if any update for the Hardware VSS provider is available?

To see the difference between software and hardware providers, please take a look at our User Guide (page 31).

Thank you!
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

Post by collinp »

If you go to Failover Cluster Manager and select your cluster name, there is a link to view your cluster events. I'm curious to know what those events were during the time of the host reboot. Did you see any 1135 errors? I have seen some of these issues as well but there are ways that I have been able to mitigate the issues.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Late update, but if you have some SQL Server VMs, install all the latest SQL patches (SP2 for SQL Server 2012), as this has fixed the issue for someone I know. Thanks!