Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

backup copy question

Post by larry »

My copy of all VMs are running fast but at the end it does a "Transformation" which can take hours? What is going on during this step? Did I set something wrong? It also says creating restore point.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: backup copy question

Post by Gostev »

This is same good old full backup file transformation we've had in our product since v1. What happens in this particular case is the oldest VIB gets merged into VBK as a part of retention processing. This is well explained in the User Guide, so you can refer to the Retention Policy for Backup Copy Jobs chapter for more information.

Unlikely with backup jobs, it should not really matter how long this transformation takes, because all of this happens outside of your backup window... as long as transformation completes within your copy interval, you are fine.

Thanks!
christiankelly
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Christian Kelly

Post by christiankelly »

Is there a way to "schedule" the transform? In the case where I'm trying to backup a 100 VMs overnight with a few jobs. When job one ends, I would like to have the extra IO available for job 2-5 and not have the transform happen until all jobs are done.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

ok thanks, just never notice it taking that long.
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie »

I have another backup copy question that is related...

Say I have a backup job that runs every day at 5pm.

At the moment, I have a backup copy job that re-starts at 8pm each night... and it normally copies one restore point to my archive repository.

If I push out the backup copy job "frequency" to once a week (e.g. Saturday at 8pm) will it just copy 1 restore point at that time each week, or will it copy all restore points that it hasn't copied (e.g. 7 restore points).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

@christiankelly it will always happens once all VMs are processed by backup copy job... presumably, this can only happen after all source backup jobs are done.
@larry are you saying transform works much faster for source backup jobs? could be due to different backup storage? or a bug...
@mongie it will one copy 1, latest restore point available at the time when backup copy job starts.
larry
Veteran

Post by larry »

I will look into on monday. Some backup sync jobs take 45 minutes to process of VMs but hours to process. I have some jobs that show failed but all VMs were success that message is Job failed unexpectedly as the only error. I tried to restore a file from each vm and could so the sync is happening. Normallt right after the fail ( 2 seconds) the job restarts processes nothing and ends with success after a minute. looking though my history I have a few of these on each server at each site.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Larry. If you can’t find the reason of the problem yourself, it stands to reason to open a ticket with our support team and let them take a closer look at this issue. Thanks.