Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

New tape media set to create full backup Veeam backup data

Post by ian0x0r »

Hi,

I have a scenario where by a set of backup tapes are rotated on a weekly basis, running over 2 weeks. Every day a backup to tape job runs and copy's the full and incremental VBK + VIB files. I have 2 media pools labelled Full and Incremental and once a week I have set the option to create a new media set.
All of this works great, however what I would like to achieve is for Veeam to start writing everything back to tape in the new media set rather than assuming it can rely on the previous media sets for restores. The new media set will only have incremental changes written to it since last tape backup.
The only method I have found of getting round this issue is to remove the previous weeks tapes from the catalogue and return them to the free pool. Is there a way to either set an option so all data is written to a new media set or automate the removal of old media sets from the tape catalogue?

Ian
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: New tape media set to create full backup Veeam backup da

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Ian,

Unfortunately, there no option to pull all rotation chain from the very beginning to newly created media set automatically.
The new media set will only have incremental changes written to it since last tape backup.
The only workaround I see is to modify your original rotation with one additional synthetic or active full back up at the begging of the second media set usage. If you do so at the beginning of your media set you would have the full backup with all the related increments
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Re: New tape media set to create full backup Veeam backup da

Post by ian0x0r »

Thanks for the reply Dmitry.

I thought this maybe the case, but worth an ask.

Thanks,

Ian
Check out my blog at www.snurf.co.uk :D