Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
cgardner
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Charles Gardner

In guest BitLocker

Post by cgardner »

We have a new two node Hyper-V 2012 cluster with CSVs holding several Windows 2012 guests. We are running Veeam B&R 7.

I can get successful backups of all VMs except one which has BitLocker enabled in guest. If I decrypt the volumes in guest, the job will run successfully.

First, can anyone confirm that in guest BitLocker is supported with VBR 7? I could not locate anything saying it is not, and support did not state that is was a problem. I am trying to confirm whether or not anyone is successfully doing this.

Second, is there any guidance for what might be required for it to work?

The job is failing with:

Code: Select all

Unable to create snapshot (Microsoft CSV Shadow Copy Provider) (mode: Hyper-V child partition snapshot). Details: Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_POST_SNAPSHOT'. The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur. --tr:Failed to verify writers state. --tr:Failed to create VSS snapshot. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' is failed at 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_POST_SNAPSHOT'. The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur. --tr:Failed to verify writers state. --tr:Failed to create VSS snapshot. --tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
I've seen this error listed on other threads in the forum, but I didn't see any references to BitLocker. I find it interesting that decrypting the volume will allow the job to complete.

We've tried with both system and data volumes encrypted and with only the data volume encrypted such that the system volume should be accessible to the agent bits.

Support case 00462203

Thanks.