Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mark.planger
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Planger

Surebackup and OpenBSD

Post by mark.planger »

Been setting up SureBackup in our environment. Everything with the Windows and Linux VM's works just fine, however I have 5 OpenBSD VM's which all fail. Surebackup claims it 'Cannot detect VM starting because of timeout'.

I've tried disabling VM Hearbeat for the application group containing those VM's with no joy.

Any help would be appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Surebackup and OpenBSD

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Mark,

Do you have VMware tools installed on these VMs? Are they up-to-date and running?

Thanks!
mark.planger
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Mark Planger

Post by mark.planger »

OpenBSD comes with Open-VM-Tools so shows as 3rd-party/Independent in VSphere. I don't believe that installing Vmware tools is supported.....or at the least it is very complex.

Mark
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

This is most likely the reason, looks like these tools do not implement some required functionality.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, I don’t know whether it is still applicable, but VMWare provides tools for FreeBSD and OpenBSD seems to be able to run FreeBSD executables, so you can try to install VMware on the OpenBSD system, using certain tricks.

Once Tools are installed, you should be able to perform SureBackup activity against such VMs.

Thanks.