schaffeb
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Ben S

Veeam 4 Virtual Appliance and VMware player

Post by schaffeb »

Is this thread:

http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... e+vm#p5713

still the best way to get VMware player going in a VM? Now that I've seen virtual appliance mode, I never want to go back to physical hardware :) I do however still want to do Linux file level restores.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam 4 Virtual Appliance and VMware player

Post by Gostev »

Yes, no changes with Linux FLR process or requirements.

However, instead of going with this hack, the recommended approach is to install Veeam Backup console and VMware Player on your personal physical computer/notebook instead, and use this console to perform Linux file level restores whenever necessary (just import the required backup via Import Backup toolbar button). Actual backup file will not be pulled down during "import" process, it will remain wherever it is.
schaffeb
Enthusiast

Post by schaffeb »

Thanks for the quick response!

This is a good tip, however I run Windows in a VM already (on Mac OS X) so unfortunately,to my knowledge, I'll run into the same issue. I think maybe we will just have to dedicate a separate piece of hardware to the task.
schaffeb
Enthusiast

Post by schaffeb »

I set up a separate system for files level recovery and I can't seem to import any of my replicas. It always says unknown vbk format when trying to do an import. Is there a way to import replicas in Veeam 4 that I'm missing?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Ben,

Unfortunately, you cannot import replicas into Veeam Backup and Replication console, only backups, that's why you such kind of error. If you've moved your replica files to another storage, you can only add those VMs to inventory using VMware (Infrastructure/vSphere) Client to start them manually.

Thank you.
schaffeb
Enthusiast

Post by schaffeb »

Hi Vitaliy,

That's really unfortunate. That essentially means that the roll-back database is useless if your Veeam server crashes. Yikes! I guess we'll have to start doing replicas and backups. Currently we were only doing replicas because it seemed like they took care of all our needs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ben,

Yes, we have many customers who are performing replicas and backups at the same time for different purposes, and with Veeam you have both option (Backup/Replication) available in one product! :wink:

Thank you.