Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Shaft
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Vince Rucolas

First time Installing B&R

Post by Shaft »

Hello All. We have just purchased Veeam Backup and Replication v7 and I need to get it installed. I am running a vSphere 5.1 with 3 clusters, 23 hosts, 400 guests in 2 locations. I will be installing B&R on a Windows 2012 Std and will have separate VMs for the management, Proxies and repository server and will have some proxies and a repository server in the second location. The SQL DB for the Management server will be on a remote SQL server (running other DBs including vCenter and Update Manager DBs if this matters) and have some questions about the best configuration. I have also read the User guide and Best Practices for these as well.

1) Can I run (not install) the Database without dbowner rights? If so what is the most restrictive rights can I give it?
2) How big should I make the Database? Is there a calculator? ( I saw one for Veeam One but not for B&R)
3) Should I put the vPower NFS datastore and the VBR catalog on separate drives? (Gota love virtualization :D )
4) Does the Service Account Credentials need to be Domain Admin? ( I prefer if they were not)
5) Any special requirements/Roles/Features need to be installed for Windows 2012? ( I will be using the de-duplication on the OS as well on B&R jobs)

I think that is it for now.
Please provide any other information you may think would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for the help
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: First time Installing B&R

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Vince,

1. Read/write permissions assigned to the service account and the account accessing Veeam backup console should be sufficient.
2. Actually it doesn't matter. Veeam B&R database contains configuration data only, so SQL Express with the limitation of 10 GBs for max database size should be more than enough for your environment.
3. These two things are not connected to each other, so it doesn't matter. Use the default settings for catalog folder. vPower NFS datastore service will be installed in your repository automatically. BTW, what kind of repository are you planning to use?
4. Domain admin permission is not required, please see this topic for more details on the service account > http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... min#p83058
5. No, our setup will automatically install/enable everything that is required for Veeam B&R.

Thanks!
Shaft
Influencer

Post by Shaft »

Thanks for the response.
In question 3 what/why is the option available to place these in a different location? Do I need to worry about where they are? We purchased a Dell competent array for our repository.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You do not need to worry about that. VBR catalog folder is created on the Veeam B&R console itself, vPowerNFS folder is stored on the repository server, so they are both on the same server if the default repository is used. If you create another repository, you configure the vPowerNFS folder specifically for that repository.
Shaft
Influencer

Post by Shaft »

Great,

Thanks for the answers