Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
danny
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Danny

Replication from one to another host

Post by danny »

Hy,
this is my first post on this forum,
and i'm interest to buy veeam B&R7
but before i need to know how is the best method
to implement a local replica to 2 server with esxi.

N.2 server with ESXi 5.1U1
--------------------------
the first (fujitsu RX300 64GB-RAM 7HDD-SAS10k-600Mb in RAID5)
the second (fujitsu RX200 48GB-RAM 5HDD-SAS7.2k-1Tb in RAID5)
-NO SHARED STORAGE-Only GIGABIT LAN connect two server

Let me explain i have read in any of your tutorial
that the local LAN replica need to have 1 proxy and 1 metadata repository

So this is my question:

(1)In my archictecture i don't have any other external server than this 2 server
then how is the best location for install veeam7b&r in the source or destination?
the proxy in source or destination?
the replica in source or destination?

(EXAMPLE SCENARIO)
I think that in the case that ESXi5(source is down for any reason)
the best way(but i want your expert opinion) is implement
-Veeam7b&r in ESXi target
-Veeam proxy in ESXi source (attacced to SAS DISK source)
-Veeam metadata repository in ESXi target
otherwise how connect to Veeam7 that is down? for failover or failback? is correct?

(2)In don't understand if a Veem proxy is a:
Windows Machine(VM) without Veeam installed with certain requisite (how desiderable for best performance?)
or Windows Machine(VM) with Veeam installed in a particular configuration to work as a proxy.
Will you give me an explanation about?

(3)As a question number (2) veeam metadata repository what is? and how configure
for correct use in replica? I need other (VM) or is sufficent ESXi(target) for metadata?

Many thank in advance for your explanation.
Best regards.
Danny
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication from one to another host

Post by foggy »

1. Your understanding of Veeam B&R location in case of replication is correct. To be able to use automatic failover/failback capabilities it is recommended to have Veeam B&R server responsible for replication residing on the target host. However repository for replica metadata should always be located closer to source (due to performance considerations). Also, in your case, the second proxy (residing on the target host) will allow you to use hotadd to populate target datastore with replica metadata, which is considered to be typically much faster than using nbd mode. You can try both ways and see what is better suits your envirionment.

2. Veeam B&R proxy is a role that can be assigned to any Windows machine that meets system requirements outlined in documentation. Default proxy server is installed as a part of Veeam B&R installation, however you can disable it and use any number of additional proxy servers to perform your backup activity. All required components are installed on those servers automatically when you designate them as proxies in Veeam B&R management console.

3. Metadata repository is a repository where replica metadata is stored. Veeam B&R uses replica metadata (checksums of read data blocks) to determine changes between replica states. It’s always recommended to have this data closer to the source host, as doing otherwise could seriously affect replication performance as Veeam B&R would have to communicate with remote repository to get the required information (this is not that important in case of local replication, though). Repository role can be assigned to any Linux or Windows server, please review the system requirements.
danny
Novice

Post by danny »

Hy Foggy,
Many thanks for the clarity of the explanation.
Over the weekend I had read the document "veeam_backup_7_userguide_vmware.pdf"
and on page 26 the advice in the event of local storage as from your confirmation today
was "Install backup proxies on VMs in every ESX (i) host" as "vitual appliance" page 29
In this document there is a note that says:
The helper VM is a blank dummy VM without virtual disks or OS installed. This VM is only used temporarily to 'hot-add' That disks of VMs are being backed up. For requirement and limitation refer to: (http://www.veeam.com/KB1054).
I had read this document but this don't explain HOW TO DO:
Veeam Backup server resides on should be formatted with proper block size to be able to mount the largest virtual disk of the hot added VMs. For examble How to format this dummy helper(with 8MB block size – 2048GB maximum file size):
(With Veeam? With Vsphere client? If it possible give me an explanation to do this without vcenter.)

Regarding the third response (in SCENARIOS where ESXi5 source is down for any reason)
is possible to assign the ROLE REPLICA to REPLICA REPOSITORY VM where i had install Veeam B&R (ESxi destination)
infact as you explain (this is not that important in case of local replication) and in this way i should not install another
Windows VM in the (ESXi source) only for replica metadata.

If the metadata repository is corrupt, down or other is possible to use Veeam B&R
so for sure failback, failover of VM REPLICA?

Thank you again,
Danny
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

danny wrote:For examble How to format this dummy helper(with 8MB block size – 2048GB maximum file size)
Danny, what vCenter version are you running? I don't think you need this helper VM workaround, since it is only required for vCenter Server earlier than version 4.0.
danny wrote:is possible to assign the ROLE REPLICA to REPLICA REPOSITORY VM where i had install Veeam B&R (ESxi destination)
infact as you explain (this is not that important in case of local replication) and in this way i should not install another
Windows VM in the (ESXi source) only for replica metadata.
Generally, you can select any repository to store replica metadata (keeping in mind recommendations given in my previous post).
danny wrote:If the metadata repository is corrupt, down or other is possible to use Veeam B&R
so for sure failback, failover of VM REPLICA?
If replica metadata is lost, it will be rebuild on the next job run, you will not lose any functionality in this case.
danny
Novice

Post by danny »

Hy sorry for my bad english,

foggy wrote:
--
Danny, what vCenter version are you running? I don't think you need this helper VM workaround, since it is only required for vCenter Server earlier than version 4.0.
--

Le me explain if i have 2 hosts (esxi 5.1U1 standalone)
without any VCENTER
what are the steps to follow for install a proxy of type(Virtual Appliance) on 2 esxi?
The last question:
What 's the best practice for backup and restore "VeeamB&R (VM)" with everithing job,schedule,settings ans so on?
Can i backup/replicate this VM with "VeeamB&R (VM)" itself?

Danny
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

danny wrote:Le me explain if i have 2 hosts (esxi 5.1U1 standalone) what are the steps to follow for install a proxy of type(Virtual Appliance) on 2 esxi?
Just add your hosts to Veeam B&R and given you have proxy server on each of them and no other limitations from the referred article apply, hotadd will be used.
danny wrote: What 's the best practice for backup and restore "VeeamB&R (VM)" with everithing job,schedule,settings ans so on?
Can i backup/replicate this VM with "VeeamB&R (VM)" itself?
The best practice is to use Veeam B&R configuration backup. However, you can also backup and replicate Veeam B&R using itself, please see this topic for details.
danny
Novice

Post by danny »

Many thanks to Foggy and all Veeam staff support.
Danny
danny
Novice

Post by danny »

OK now this is my configuration:

-Veeam7B&R on "ESXi target" (with role assigned from standard installation)
-Veeam1 proxy on "ESXi source" ((Virtual Appliance to use hotadd)attacced to SAS DISK source)
-Veeam2 proxy on "ESXi target" ((Virtual Appliance to use hotadd)attacced to SAS DISK target)
Foggy wrote:
Generally, you can select any repository to store replica metadata
(keeping in mind recommendations given in my previous post).

I must put METADATA closer to (ESXi source) and i have read veeam manual document,
but these refer always to add (backup proxy or backup repository) and
I have not seen anything that relates how to ADD NEW METADATA REPOSITORY.

Please what are the steps to follow for install NEW METADATA REPOSITORY closer to source
and how to use it during create of replica jobs from Veeam7B&R.

Many thanks in advance,
Danny.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

It's just a common repository, not a "special metadata repository" or whatever. Just assign the backup repository role to your source proxy VM and select this repository while configuring replication job, when requested (Job Settings step, if I remember correctly).
danny
Novice

Post by danny »

Ok thanks,
but would not it be better to provide that the (virtual appliance proxy) functions also as metadata repository, rather than the role of backup repository so you save to add another (source windows VM with licence) and you would have the benefit that only metadata and not all backup repository is always closer to source host.
As you wrote: Veeam B&R uses replica metadata (checksums of read data blocks) to determine changes between replica states. (And Veeam recreate metadata if it lost)
Then using the Esxi hotadd feature veeam could store metadata in this location. Is right?
Thanks.
Danny
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

You do not need to add another Windows license, the same VM can hold both proxy and repository roles.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Then using the Esxi hotadd feature veeam could store metadata in this location. Is right?
Also, the ability of proxy server to store replica metadata isn't affected by mode this proxy is using. Thanks.
danny
Novice

Post by danny »

Thanks for the clear exposition.
Danny