Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mdornfeld
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Matt

Veeam vs VMware Data Recovery

Post by mdornfeld »

I don't see that this has come up yet (especially since the forum search isn't working), so I might as well be "that guy".

I just started reading about VMware Data Recovery (new with vSphere4) and am trying to work out the costs associated with that product (as we already have the Enterprise license of VMware) vs Veeam, as well as the feature sets of both products.

I found some dated articles (by dated, I mean over a month old :) ) that compare Veeam and Data Recovery.
http://www.hiperlogic.com/blog/?p=181
http://www.techquark.com/2009/10/vmware ... chine.html

Veeam's not the kind of company that is going to duck it's head in the sand and pretend that the VMware product doesn't exist, and I would be highly surprised if they haven't already analyzed the difference in feature sets, and what it means for the future of their product. To that point, I would be interested in seeing reactions from people who have tried out Data Recovery, Veeam's take, and a product comparison sheet from Veeam to break down the differences.

It would be easy to discount the Data Recovery as a new "unstable" product that shouldn't be trusted yet. (In fact thats what an "other" company that we all know and love did when I asked them to compare themselves to Veeam back during my evaluation a year ago.) But when it comes down to it, I've had to be very trusting of latest releases from both VMware and Veeam to run our enterprise servers.

The reason for this comes down to money. I'm extremely happy with Veeam and the support it's given me, but I do not hold the purse strings, and while tangibles such as support and intrenched backup software of choice come in to play, I still need to validate our continued purchasing and usage of Veeam versus a 1st party tool that we now already own.

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Veeam vs VMware Data Recovery

Post by Gostev »

Hi Matt, this is the most current discussion about VMware DR in the VMware Communities forums:
http://communities.vmware.com/message/1412976#1412976

We do have comparison documents for all competitive solutions, and we are providing them to all qualified customers. You can contact your Veeam sales representative to get it. We do not publish this competitive information publicly on the forum for a number of reasons (and this is true for any competitor, not just VMware).

Thanks!
mdornfeld
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Matt

Re: Veeam vs VMware Data Recovery

Post by mdornfeld »

Thanks Anton. I have requested the document from my sales rep.

Thank you also for the forum post link. Very interesting.