Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cyburdine
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Justin burdine

Why am I slow? ;)

Post by cyburdine »

I've searched the forums and have not seen much talk about slower than expected backup speeds. So I am left wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong.

Since upgrading from Veeam 3.5 to 4.0 our local network backups have slowed to a crawl.

When we were on 3.5, I could backup at 25-30MBps using Veeam backup from our ESX cluster to a stand alone backup server Dell PE2850 with an MD1000 attached.

Now that we have moved to 4.0 I am getting no better than 10MBps

It doesn't seem to make a difference whether I use VCB (network mode) or Veeam Backup (network mode). Nor does it seem to matter what compression level I use. This seems to be the case for incremental and full backups. When I run HDTach on both the backup server and on the SAN I'm getting burst speed of 230MBps sequential read average of 170MBps and the network is GigE full duplex same switch same vlan. (no errors on the switch)

The only thing that has changed is our upgrade to vSphere 4.0 and Veeam Backup 4.0.

Anyone have any ideas? Any log files I can look at to see what might be causing this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Why am I slow? ;)

Post by Gostev »

Hello, your upgrade from ESX 3.5 to ESX 4.0 caused this, it is a known issue:
Network backup slow on vSphere ESX 4.0

To address this, you should use SAN or VirtualAppliance mode backups instead.

If you'd like to discuss the issue with network backups on ESX4, please post in the existing thread referenced above. This is where we track the progress and most recent updates to the issue (the issue is as old as vSphere).