Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

issue with host IP instead of DNS ?

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Hi

In my cluster I have three hosts, esx01.vanzanten,local, esx02.vanzanten.local and 192.168.0.3. The last one I had to add by just IP instead of hostname when I had some issues with DNS. But I now noticed that all VMs running on this host haven't been backed up.

Error in the session log:
0 of 0 files processed

Total VM size: 0.00 KB
Processed size: 0.00 KB
Processing rate: 0 KB/s
Backup mode:
Start time: 12/1/2009 4:00:30 AM
End time: 12/1/2009 4:00:31 AM
Duration: 0:00:00

Validating task
Host "192.168.0.3" not found

I will move the VMs to one of the other hosts tonight and let the backups run again. But I was wondering if this is a known issue.

Gabrie
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: issue with host IP instead of DNS ?

Post by Gostev »

Definitely should not be any issues with adding hosts by IP addresses. We very often add hosts using IP addresses in our labs, because some of them are not registered in DNS. But if you have cluster, why are you adding individual hosts instead of vCenter?
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert

I used vCenter, but below the vCenter tree one of them shows as an IP address.

Another thing I just discovered is that (because of a not updated host profile) the DNS configuration of esx02 and esx03 (192.168.0.3) wasn't correct. They both were using the old dns servers that no longer existed. Not sure if this played a role.

I'll have the new backup results tomorrow morning. My labs is too slow to quickly run a backup job now while the regular backups are running. I'll post the update.

Gabrie
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert

Backups went fine last night, except for some warnings about other stuff, but a backup was made. Now tried moving a VM to the 192.168.0.3 host and this backup is running fine now too. Bit strange, I suspect the incorrect DNS settings on the host might have been a problem....
vbussiro
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by vbussiro »

Depending on backup method, veeam installs a temporary agent on host's service console, so wrong network config may drive to this agent to be unable to join backup server and/or target.
Furthermore, good hosts' dns config is important anyway, for HA by example.