Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Replica Deleted by Job

Post by nunciate »

I respectfully request that someone look into this and fix or patch or whatever.

I have a replication job that took me a very long time to get seeded. I have had multiple issues not related to Veeam just trying to get a copy of my backup file out to my DR site. The VM is almost 2Tb big. This was literally weeks of wasted time trying to copy the file over the network, sent a USB drive out to DR which in turn died. I finally got a copy out there by using SFTP which took several days. After spending all of this time I spent my entire Holiday weekend restoring the replica VM back to DR from the backup. That took a couple of days in itself. Then I ran the seeded replication job which again took a couple of days to build the digests and do the data copy. So all is great and I run replication a couple of times without failure. Well I turned off the seeding option in the job because it isn't needed anymore. Can you guess what happened? The server had an issue during the same time a replication was running last night This caused a hang and something was wrong with the restore point so we removed those snapshots. Well we re-ran replication and it failed to find the snapshot. So instead of just creating a new snapshot what dose Veeam do? It deletes the entire replica. It doesn't just error out and fail it deletes the whole dang thing and then fails. To say that I am upset by this is a the understatement of the year.

Again I would respectfully request that you all program in some kind of failsafe. The job should never try to delete the entire replica. It should warn you, it should fail or it should give you some message that it may need to be deleted but never delete it on its own. That is just crazy. Had I the forsight to re-enable seeding this probably wouldn't have been an issue. I am sure the replica itself was just fine since it did startup OK. It was just missing the restore points.

Very Frustrating Monday....
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Replica Deleted by Job

Post by Gostev »

Hi Alan, what is the support case for this issue? I'd like our support to investigate logs and confirm that a) it was our product that issued the deletion command, and b) the reason behind it. Until then, we cannot be sure the issue is with our code, and not something else. I certainly would not expect the job to just delete the replica VM for no reason, as bugs like this would have been reported years ago if they existed in the product. Lets investigate this together? Thanks!
lars@norstat.no
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Lars Skjønberg

Post by lars@norstat.no »

I have experienced the same thing actually after upgrading to the new version of Veeam and Vmware 5.5

I'm not sure why this happens yet, but what is sure is that none of my replication jobs are running after the upgrade and some of those fail with the included fun of deleting the whole replica. I have seen this before as well but then i have just deleted the whole replica and started over. This time that doesn't work so i'm stuck for now.

My case number is 00485281
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

Sorry for the delay. Been a busy couple of days. My Case # 00485772 has been opened as well.