Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
systeembeheerder
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Addy

Storage API SAN setup how?

Post by systeembeheerder »

Hi,

I am new to this product and in the process of testing it. I would like to setup the SAN only mode (sounds to me, to be the best).
I have read the user manual, I have read the faq, but still it remains unclear to me, why there is no good manual to set this up.
From the FAQ
Q: I want to use vStorage API SAN mode for direct storage access, how do I configure this?
A: You need to configure Veeam Backup server in the exact same way as VCB requires (install HBA, disable automount, give Veeam Backup server read permission on storage device and so on).

And so on?
Please can some one give me a clear set of instructions how to set it up (I have tried the helpdesk, but de seam to be restricted to give oneline replies?) ?
I really want to make this work.
My situation:I am using: 3 hosts vSphere 4.0 Enterprise plus, 1 Dell Equallogic PS5000E and 1 MD3000i. Both iSCSI devices.
- Currently done work: installed a physsical server with 4 network ports with w2k3 R2 x64.
- install the Veeam software on it
- installed the microsoft iSCSI initator 2.0.8 on it
- Added the vCenter server in Veeam backup (virtual) and created a Veeam account to be able to login to the vCenter.
- Added the same account to host1 to be root and login with ssh. (getting it working on one host, and doing the same on the others if it works)
- Added the server to the iSCSI config of the SAN Equallogic (Source), so I see the iSCSI drives in the initiator.

After this it is unclear for me. I probable have to create a LUN on my MD3000i for the backups and make it be visable to the backup server?
And then what? Do I format it? With what FS? VMFS/NTFS? whats best?
I should somehow make it visable to my Windows server to use it as a destination?
Please help.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Storage API SAN setup how?

Post by Gostev »

Here's the existing thread with the same question and step-by-step to the best of my knowledge:
Configuring new VEEAM Backup Server for SAN

As for LUN to store backups on, you want to format it to NTFS.
systeembeheerder
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Addy

Post by systeembeheerder »

Hi Gostev,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will try do this today.
On more question: I have about 3TB of data on my primary storage. I can configure the LUN as a 3TB LUN and Format it with Windows as a NTFS with GPT.
Or: split it up in 2TB or 1TB partitons. What is the good choice here?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Out of common sense, I would make 1 big partition for backups - but I don't have experience of storage administration, so not sure if there are any implications.
baseline
Novice
Liked: never

Post by baseline »

systeembeheerder wrote:Hi Gostev,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will try do this today.
On more question: I have about 3TB of data on my primary storage. I can configure the LUN as a 3TB LUN and Format it with Windows as a NTFS with GPT.
Or: split it up in 2TB or 1TB partitons. What is the good choice here?

Hi,

By all means use GPT although you should do this on a x64 system since it will help with CRC and table allocation.
GPT is actually much more reliable than MBR and doesn't require diskpart alignment.

Cheers