Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Snorri
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Seth Moyers

Can't see hosts when restoring to a new server...?

Post by Snorri »

Hi all, I have looked around the Google and browsed on here and cannot find the answer I am looking for. I am using the free version of this software and created backups of my 3 VM's last night. Today I wanted to test the restore to another server to see if it worked. The Hyper-V host is Windows Server 2012 Standard and the servers I have to back them up are 2008 R2 Enterprise. The 2008 boxes have empty Hyper-V installations as I don't plan to run any except in case of emergency. When I go through the restore wizard I get to this step: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/vsphere/ but I have no hosts available to pick.

What am I missing here?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Can't see hosts when restoring to a new server...?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Seth,

Are you trying to restore these VMs to the Hyper-v 2012? Can you post a screenshot of the added infrastructure and the step of the wizard where you can't pick anything up?

Thank you!
Snorri
Novice

Post by Snorri »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Seth,

Are you trying to restore these VMs to the Hyper-v 2012? Can you post a screenshot of the added infrastructure and the step of the wizard where you can't pick anything up?

Thank you!
No, I am trying to restore from the 2012 server to one of the 2008 R2 servers. Not sure what you mean by added infrastructure but here is where I am stuck:

And when I click "Host..." there are no options to select so I cannot continue. Maybe I am confused as to what constitutes a host in this instance but I want to select the local server (the local server being 2008 R2 with NO VM's).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Have you added 2008 Hyper-V server to the backup console? I believe Vitaliy was referring to Managed servers node that can be found under Backup Infrastructure view. The idea is to see whether the corresponding host is even shown there. Thanks.
Snorri
Novice

Post by Snorri »

*Slaps forehead*. Yes I didn't add the new local server to Veeam Backup. Now, of course, I get the error "VM version is incompatible with host. Hyper-V 2012 host is required to restore VM". Is there a way to make my backups compatible from 2012 to 2008? If not, this software is unfortunately completely useless in my case.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

While Restoration from Hyper-V 2008R2 up to Hyper-V 2012 should be supported, the reverse is not. So, from my perspective, the only option will be to update 2008 installation to 2012 and use it as a target for restoration activities. Thanks.
Snorri
Novice

Post by Snorri »

That's a shame since it is not an option. However, I appreciate you guys providing VERY quick support!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Snorri wrote:Is there a way to make my backups compatible from 2012 to 2008? If not, this software is unfortunately completely useless in my case.
I believe the issue here is in VM hardware configuration, that is why you cannot restore Hyper-V 2012 VMs to Hyper-V 2008 hosts.

As a workaround you may want to try restoring VM virtual disks (this option is available in the full version of the product) and then attach these disks to the newly created VMs.

Hope this helps!