Generating Infrastructure Changes Report

Management reporting and documentation

Re: Generating Infrastructure Changes Report

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:52 am

dcohee wrote:And maybe, as aforementioned, customizable databases for different people. I just know that, for example, one of the departments that we support, will have access to several of their virtual machines. I don't want them being able to see anything else, because it's not their concern and it would just confuse them.

Do you want to grant these people with full admin rights on your Reporter installation? What if you were able to use granular security permissions on predefined dashboards for each department, would that help you here?

dcohee wrote:However, we would like to (I'm not sure if this is already possible or not) send reports (monthly? weekly? whatever) to multiple email addresses (so for one dept., they would get the emails and we, the IT people would see them as well).

I'm not sure if I'm taking it out of context or not, but you can send generated reports to multiple recipients based on your custom schedule within the same reporting job even now.

dcohee wrote:Or maybe only reports could be emailed if there WAS actually a change (i.e. a NIC was added, hard drive space added, etc.)?

I believe I can already start sharing some teasers for our new version with you :wink: Actually, we've enhanced our reporting jobs functionality, so you could do exactly what you've described above.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby dcohee » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Well, I think that some people would be alright if they had admin privileges. But I would have to say that I'm probably not entirely comfortable with most of them having full admin rights, if you know what I mean. :) Most of the people in other departments who could potentially have access are not technically-savvy. So granular security sounds like a great idea. I suppose that there are some people (especially those actually in IT) who can have full admin privileges. However, once we start offering virtual services to other departments in the University, I'd rather some people not have admin rights.

Thanks for the other responses. Do you know when the new version will be out? I look forward to working with it, and thanks for your help.
dcohee
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Darcie C.

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:21 pm

Darcie, it will be available as soon as it is ready :) so stay tuned for updates!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby airborneric » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:27 pm

In the reporting jobs, there is a portion to have the report sent to a network share (email etc). However, it loses some of the functionality of viewing the report on the reporter server....is there any way to have the report that ends up on a network share have the actual information instead of a hyperlink back to the reporter server? Or did I miss something simple, as I am apt to do from time to time? :)

I have a similar requirement to have a change report run daily for VM's and weekly for resources and such. The problem is, I don't want everyone having any sorts of rights to the actual server or the database. Tends to mess up the works if I allow that sort of tomfoolery :)

Thanks in advance!
airborneric
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Blecke

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:48 am

airborneric wrote:However, it loses some of the functionality of viewing the report on the reporter server....is there any way to have the report that ends up on a network share have the actual information instead of a hyperlink back to the reporter server? Or did I miss something simple, as I am apt to do from time to time?

This is how SSRS reports actually work, you can have a full report on your network share, but that should be either PDF, Word, Excel etc. reports.

airborneric wrote:I have a similar requirement to have a change report run daily for VM's and weekly for resources and such. The problem is, I don't want everyone having any sorts of rights to the actual server or the database. Tends to mess up the works if I allow that sort of tomfoolery

I agree here, but could you please clarify if you're talking about reports, predefined dashboard or virtual object that you want to have granular permissions on?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to Reporting