Management reporting and documentation
dcohee
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Darcie C.

Generating Infrastructure Changes Report

Post by dcohee »

[Moved into separate topic]

Okay, thank you. The Infrastructure Changes reports are what I am looking for -- it shows when things have been added or modified, and that's great! I managed to generate a report under 'Workspace.' My only other question is, once I create one of those reports to my specifications, can I then set up the Reporter to email me the reports periodically (say, every other day) so that I can keep track of any changes that are made? I know you can set up reporting jobs under 'Configuration,' but I would like the report format that I was able to generate under the 'Workspace' tab.

Thank you for your help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Generating Infrastructure Changes Report

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Darcie,

I've split our previous conversation into a separate topic.

As to your question, then yes, you can do that. Just save the report you've generated and then choose it in the report list available for a particular Report Pack.

Thank you!
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

I understand how to create/save a report under the Workspace tab. I guess what I don't know how to do (or if it is even possible) is to take the report that I create there, and then set it up so that I can automatically generate the emails for those reports. When I go under the Configuration tab to set up Reporting Jobs, there's no place where I can take what data I gathered from the report generated, and have it email me the reports. I like the reports under the Base Report Pack that display Infrastructure Changes, because it tells me what is added/modified. I just want to be able to email periodic reports to myself/other techs so that we can periodically monitor what is going on with our virtual machines.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Could you please clarify if you have saved the reports before trying to attach them to a reporting job?
Do you see any saved reports under Report option at the "Choose report to create with this job" step of the wizard?

The step I am talking about is described in our User Guide (page 49):
http://www.veeam.com/files/guide/veeam_ ... _guide.pdf
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

Yes, I have saved the reports. However, when I go under the Report option where it says, "Choose report to create with this job," there is no place for me to choose one of my saved reports. The only options I see on the drop-down menu under "Report type:" are the following: "Infrastructure, Infrastructure changes, Permissions and Raw Data."

After looking at the user guide, I realized that I don't have the "Report pack" option on that window. Now that I think about it, if we have the 'free' version of Reporter, is that why I am not seeing as many options? I am fairly certain that we're just using the free version, but I will have to talk to my supervisor. Sorry about the confusion.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Darcie,

You can always check you version by navigating to Configuration->License tab. Yes, we've got a certain set of limitations for a free version.
Here is a document that shows differences between paid and free versions, please take a look:
http://www.veeam.com/veeam_reporter_free_edition_wn.pdf

If you need to unlock all the functionality, you may install a trial license for Veeam Reporter. You will receive an email with a 30-day license key after downloading the full version or you can contact our sales rep for assistance with getting a trial license key.

Thank you!
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

Okay, I think I figured out what my problem is! :)

We have the full version, so I was wondering why I was not seeing an option where I could choose my previously custom-made reports in the Reporting Job window. However, I figured out that this is dependent on which reporting engine you choose (Microsoft SQL Reporting Services vs. Veeam Report Viewer). Choosing Report Viewer only allows you to use the predefined report packs, and does not allow you to select one of the custom-made ones. Selecting Microsoft SQL does allow you to choose a custom-made one, and it will send a slightly more detailed report in a PDF, Word or Excel file.

I like that choosing Microsoft SQL as the reporting engine allows me to do that. However, it still does not allow me to, for example, expand information on a specific virtual machine (i.e. to see when a NIC was added or modified). If it is just currently not possible to set up emailed reports like that (where I could choose my own custom Infrastructure changes report) and use Report Viewer to view the reports in a more interactive manner, is it possible that the functionality could be added in future software updates?

Thanks for all your help.
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Darcie,

Thanks for your message and for detailed information! You are right, information which is sent to e-mail (when set to Microsoft SSRS engine) is currently very brief - in order not to overload your mailbox (just imagine the amount of audit data for the whole bunch of your VMs, for example). But I agree with you, the report itself is not rather handy, and we scheduled to redesign it.

What would be the best design of this report for you? Do you have any suggestions or proposals?
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

Hi,

I totally understand the fact that we would not want to overload inboxes. :)

I'm still talking to my boss about what we would like to see, so I will jot down some ideas and some questions for you and get back to you within the next day or so. Thanks for your input.
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Thanks, Darcie.

Waiting for your feedback!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Darcie,

By the way, have you considered creating a custom Dashboard for your manager, so he could easily observe the information he needs by just following the link to this pre-defined dashboard?

Thanks!
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

Vitaliy,

That sounds like a good idea; I have been playing around with the Dashboard somewhat. However, can we send a link to someone who may not necessarily be in the IT department? For example, if I have a power user in the university's Anthropology department, and I want them to be able to see information on two virtual machines that they are to monitor, can I create a custom dashboard just for them?

If not, I can probably just create a custom dashboard for everyone on our IT team to look at on occasion. I'm not sure how many people have access to our server that has Monitor, Business View and Reporter on it.

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Multiple dashboards with a customizable set of widgets will be a part of our next release, as for now you can only create a single dashboard, which can be used either by your IT department or C-level guys.
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

Okay, thank you. That is something I will be looking forward to. I'm still working on ideas for you, so I'll keep you posted within a few days.

Thanks!
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

Hi, sorry this took so long.

So far, I guess it would just be nice if there was a way to break down smaller reports. And maybe, as aforementioned, customizable databases for different people. I just know that, for example, one of the departments that we support, will have access to several of their virtual machines. I don't want them being able to see anything else, because it's not their concern and it would just confuse them. However, we would like to (I'm not sure if this is already possible or not) send reports (monthly? weekly? whatever) to multiple email addresses (so for one dept., they would get the emails and we, the IT people would see them as well). We mainly just want to see how/if the VMs change over time. Or maybe only reports could be emailed if there WAS actually a change (i.e. a NIC was added, hard drive space added, etc.)? That way, we wouldn't be bombarded with emails all the time. I'm sure we would just have to set up collection jobs to run so that it keeps collecting data. I'm just not sure how often we would make them run, because I don't want it to be constantly collecting data either.

I think that is it for now. I don't have any other thing specifically in mind, but if I think of something, I will let you know. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

dcohee wrote:And maybe, as aforementioned, customizable databases for different people. I just know that, for example, one of the departments that we support, will have access to several of their virtual machines. I don't want them being able to see anything else, because it's not their concern and it would just confuse them.
Do you want to grant these people with full admin rights on your Reporter installation? What if you were able to use granular security permissions on predefined dashboards for each department, would that help you here?
dcohee wrote:However, we would like to (I'm not sure if this is already possible or not) send reports (monthly? weekly? whatever) to multiple email addresses (so for one dept., they would get the emails and we, the IT people would see them as well).
I'm not sure if I'm taking it out of context or not, but you can send generated reports to multiple recipients based on your custom schedule within the same reporting job even now.
dcohee wrote:Or maybe only reports could be emailed if there WAS actually a change (i.e. a NIC was added, hard drive space added, etc.)?
I believe I can already start sharing some teasers for our new version with you :wink: Actually, we've enhanced our reporting jobs functionality, so you could do exactly what you've described above.
dcohee
Influencer

Post by dcohee »

Well, I think that some people would be alright if they had admin privileges. But I would have to say that I'm probably not entirely comfortable with most of them having full admin rights, if you know what I mean. :) Most of the people in other departments who could potentially have access are not technically-savvy. So granular security sounds like a great idea. I suppose that there are some people (especially those actually in IT) who can have full admin privileges. However, once we start offering virtual services to other departments in the University, I'd rather some people not have admin rights.

Thanks for the other responses. Do you know when the new version will be out? I look forward to working with it, and thanks for your help.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Darcie, it will be available as soon as it is ready :) so stay tuned for updates!
airborneric
Lurker
Full Name: Eric Blecke

Post by airborneric »

In the reporting jobs, there is a portion to have the report sent to a network share (email etc). However, it loses some of the functionality of viewing the report on the reporter server....is there any way to have the report that ends up on a network share have the actual information instead of a hyperlink back to the reporter server? Or did I miss something simple, as I am apt to do from time to time? :)

I have a similar requirement to have a change report run daily for VM's and weekly for resources and such. The problem is, I don't want everyone having any sorts of rights to the actual server or the database. Tends to mess up the works if I allow that sort of tomfoolery :)

Thanks in advance!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

airborneric wrote:However, it loses some of the functionality of viewing the report on the reporter server....is there any way to have the report that ends up on a network share have the actual information instead of a hyperlink back to the reporter server? Or did I miss something simple, as I am apt to do from time to time?
This is how SSRS reports actually work, you can have a full report on your network share, but that should be either PDF, Word, Excel etc. reports.
airborneric wrote:I have a similar requirement to have a change report run daily for VM's and weekly for resources and such. The problem is, I don't want everyone having any sorts of rights to the actual server or the database. Tends to mess up the works if I allow that sort of tomfoolery
I agree here, but could you please clarify if you're talking about reports, predefined dashboard or virtual object that you want to have granular permissions on?