Management reporting and documentation
rderonne
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rosemarie DeRonne

Re: Veeam Wishlist / Reports

Post by rderonne »

Good Morning,

We have to perform regular server audits. As part of the audit we have to provide the date of the last full backup, and job status. I am not sure if this has been requested, but I would love to see a report that contains the following information in one easy already expanded view:

Computer name, Last Full Backup Date, job status (success/failure).

I am still new to Veeam One reporter and have been working with the report builder to create this report. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks so much !
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Rosemarie,

Did you try to use a report builder or custom backup infrastructure report to achieve that? The later provides you with an option to put your own columns into the report, so it should address your request.

Thank you!
bsmith-mmo
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brian Smith

Post by bsmith-mmo »

Shestakov wrote: Dec 10, 2019 5:06 pm I see your concerns about Job History report. We will take into account your request about VM Daily Protection Status report for future releases.
Thanks for the detailed feedback!
Shestakov,

I updated our Veeam installation to V10 yesterday and noticed that this is still not an option. Do you have any timeline as to when this might be implemented? I'm rather surprised that ONE does not include more granular options to begin with. I am also surprised, and disappointed, that Veeam forces users to purchase ONE just to get half-way decent backup status reports instead of it being baked into B&R by default.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Brian,
The quoted post was written in Dec, 2019. We physically had no option to include your request into v10 release.
I'll raise the priority for that feature for the future releases, however, I cannot promise any ETA.
bsmith-mmo
Influencer

Post by bsmith-mmo »

bsmith-mmo wrote: Feb 20, 2020 2:57 pm Shestakov,

I updated our Veeam installation to V10 yesterday and noticed that this is still not an option. Do you have any timeline as to when this might be implemented? I'm rather surprised that ONE does not include more granular options to begin with. I am also surprised, and disappointed, that Veeam forces users to purchase ONE just to get half-way decent backup status reports instead of it being baked into B&R by default.
Team,

Is there an update on this? It's been nearly a year with a couple of updates released and still no resolution to this problem.

I have the reports scheduled to run at 11:55 PM to catch as much data for the day without getting the next day in the report. Now that the time has changed in the US, there is a new issue: The report shows the next day with incomplete data. It's ridiculous that Veeam puts such limitations on report data, removing user control as to what data needs to be in the report. This is frustrating to people looking at the reports and don't understand why incomplete data is showing in the report for a particular date.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Brian,

Have you tried scheduling the report with "Past 7 days" option as it was suggested before?

Thanks
bsmith-mmo
Influencer

Post by bsmith-mmo »

wishr,

My reports have been set for the past 7 days. But depending on when the report runs, currently 11:55 PM, it will include the current day as well creating confusion. I need options for Yesterday and For the last week. In my daily report I don't care about showing what happened earlier in the week or today.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Brian,

I apologize for the delayed reply.

In v11 we are adding Last X weeks option to the VM Daily Protection Status report. Please let me know if this would fit your use case.

Thanks
bsmith-mmo
Influencer

Post by bsmith-mmo »

Hi wishr,

For my daily reports, I'm not concern with the last X week(s), only the last X day(s).

Thanks
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Brian,

The VM Daily Protection Status report is designed to assess weekly/7 day intervals to determine backup statuses within this interval, so "Last X days" hardly fits this design. If you are interested in having a daily report I would recommend other reports that are designed for this use-case, like Latest Job Status, Job History, and VM and Computer Protection History, for example.

Thanks
bsmith-mmo
Influencer

Post by bsmith-mmo »

Hi wishr,

None of the reports you listed provide the same report info and layout that I am looking for while the Daily Protection Status report does. How about you open up the selection options on the reports and let me decide what I want to see instead of you telling me what you think I should see. This back and forth on this is BS. We're already having to pay extra just for Veeam ONE reports because reporting in B&R is non-existent and then just to have what data we see limited by the Veeam team. That's crap.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Brian,

Please, keep in mind that there some usage scenarios cannot be implemented in the existing reports due to technical limitations. That's why in v11 we are investing in REST API so in future versions, you'll be able to pull any data you require and visualize it on your own accordingly. Apart from that, there are existing custom reports allowing you to build unique reports and predefined reports that can be enhanced by request if certain data/options are missing and it is possible and at the same time useful to have them added there. A good example of the latter case is the "Last X weeks" option that has been added to VM Daily Protection Status in v11 because you requested it in one of your posts above.

Please, let us know what exact kind of information you are looking for and what exactly is missing from the proposed reports in comparison with VM Daily Protection Status. What is the exact use-case in your particular situation and the end goals? More detailed information you provide - higher chances we will be able to suggest/implement a solution that fulfills your needs.

Regarding reporting in VBR itself, what you are saying is not fully correct because VBR provides PowerShell and REST interfaces to pull data that can be used to build custom reports, dashboards, and so on with a bit of manual work and customization. The value of Veeam ONE is you do not need to do that on your own and can use predefined and custom reports and dashboards, and automate the delivery of these reports and dashboards in just a few clicks.

Thanks
bsmith-mmo
Influencer

Post by bsmith-mmo »

Hi wishr,

Yes, the Last X Weeks option would be great for weekly reports. However, I also requested to be able to limit the report to the previous day as well. That's where either Last X Days, or a manual selection for a specific day would be great.

Thanks
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Brian,

Unfortunately, the "Last X days" or a "Day X" option cannot be easily or even at all added to the VM Daily Protection report, but we are open to suggestions on what improvements can be made to the aforementioned reports designed for daily reporting to make them useful for you.

Have you checked the VM and Computer Protection History report? It provides the same per-workload info as VM Daily Protection status but with more details, while also allowing to select "Last X days" and specific dates.

Thanks
bsmith-mmo
Influencer

Post by bsmith-mmo » 1 person likes this post

Hi wishr,

The VM and Computer Protection History report provides way more data than needed and does not include a graph. I am looking for a report 100% identical to the VM Daily Protection report that has more granular selection options. I need a simple report that show a simple graph of what was successful, warning, or failed, then lists each job and the protected machines within the job and it's status. The VM and Computer Protection History report is perfect for checking which run of the job had issues, but it's way more info than I need to supply to the business. Management only cares about an overview, which is why the VM Daily Protection report is perfect, they don't care about the details like in the VM and Computer Protection History report. To them it just becomes clutter.

It would be great if the could include jobs of all types not just for VMs.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hello Brad,

Thanks for the clarification and for the request. We'll see how it can be addressed in the future.
AhmedS
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Ahmed Sayed

Post by AhmedS »

Hi There.

I am emailing out Backup Job History PDF reports to application owners.
I have a job called< hypothetically, Production DB servers. This job has multiple VM's.
I need the PDF report to show the VM's being backed up and their status instead of just the Job Name.
In the reporting console you can click the Job name to show a child report that shows each VM, but this is not in the PDF report.

I am new to Veeam One, so maybe I am missing something?
Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ahmed,

Have you seen this report instead? It is based on the RPO threshold and lists all VM names. If that's a bit more info for your clients, then maybe this simple report will fit in their needs.

Thanks!
bsmith-mmo
Influencer

Post by bsmith-mmo »

AhmedS wrote: Mar 12, 2021 1:12 pm Hi There.

I am emailing out Backup Job History PDF reports to application owners.
I have a job called< hypothetically, Production DB servers. This job has multiple VM's.
I need the PDF report to show the VM's being backed up and their status instead of just the Job Name.
In the reporting console you can click the Job name to show a child report that shows each VM, but this is not in the PDF report.

I am new to Veeam One, so maybe I am missing something?
Thanks
If the default VeeamOne reports do not provide the data you need, then I hope you know how to use SSRS because this team will not change the reports to match what their customers need.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hey Brian,
bsmith-mmo wrote:If the default VeeamOne reports do not provide the data you need, then I hope you know how to use SSRS because this team will not change the reports to match what their customers need.
There is no need to be an expert in SSRS, but if our predefined reports have some extra or missing info we will certainly fix it (if this fix makes sense for all customers). If it doesn't, then I highly encourage to use our report builder and custom backup reporting engine that allows selecting objects and their properties for maximum flexibility.

Thanks!
AhmedS
Influencer

Post by AhmedS »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Mar 12, 2021 1:44 pm Hi Ahmed,

Have you seen this report instead? It is based on the RPO threshold and lists all VM names. If that's a bit more info for your clients, then maybe this simple report will fit in their needs.

Thanks!
Thanks for the response. The Protected VM's report doesnt give me the exact information I require.
All I need is the child report which shows all the VM names to be included in the emailed PDF version.
Or if you can direct me to getting the child report directly - I can schedule that instead?
The issue is that the Auditors only see the Job Name and not that VM's that it backups.
Thanks
AhmedS
Influencer

Post by AhmedS »

Vitaliy S. wrote: Mar 12, 2021 1:44 pm Hi Ahmed,

Thanks!
Its fine - I managed to find what I needed.
Its called the VM and Computer Protection History Report.
Thanks Vitaliy
AhmedS
Influencer

Post by AhmedS »

bsmith-mmo wrote: Mar 12, 2021 1:53 pm If the default VeeamOne reports do not provide the data you need, then I hope you know how to use SSRS because this team will not change the reports to match what their customers need.
Thankfully I came right.
I hate SSRS with a passion. :-(
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Gentlemen,

I just wanted to say that if something is missing in the reports - just let us know. We'll be happy to constructively discuss your needs and implement enhancements whenever possible.

Thanks
bsmith-mmo
Influencer

Post by bsmith-mmo »

I have previously submitted a simple feature request that is available in other reports and was basically told "No", so I have no faith in the Veeam reporting team.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

What particular feature request you are talking about?
bsmith-mmo
Influencer

Post by bsmith-mmo »

The VM Daily Protection Status report needs an added interval for Previous Day or Past Day.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Got it, thank you. This particular request implies a complete rewrite of the report which cannot be done quickly, but your request is surely noted for future Veeam ONE versions.
bsmith-mmo
Influencer

Post by bsmith-mmo »

That's crazy. A total rewrite of the report? It's a simple data selection range. Also, this request was submitted Dec 2019 right before V10 was released and still didn't make it into V11.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

It's not that simple as the current logic behind the report is designed purely and only for 7 day long intervals. But yet again, your feedback has been taken into account and if we have an opportunity to rewrite the report from scratch we'll definitely go for it.