No worries, thanks for clarifications!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1145 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Wishlist / Reports

Veeam Logoby coopsam » Tue May 06, 2014 10:53 am

HI,

We moved recently from SolarWinds VM Manager to Veeam ONE and I've been asked if we can re-produce a report we used to get our of Solarwinds called 'Attached ISO's'. Just basically tells us if any VM's have attached ISO on them. Can Veeam produce this report/Alert?

Thanks
coopsam
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Sam Cooper

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue May 06, 2014 11:16 am

Currently, we don't provide any pre-defined reports regarding attached ISO images. But can you shed a little more light on why you need it? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby coopsam » Tue May 06, 2014 11:27 am

We use another bit of software for automated recovery of critical VM's that is able to move them between our VMware clusters at our 2 data centres, however if for any reason a VM has an attached ISO (vm tools, sql install etc) then that process would fail so we monitor that so we can ensure recovery.

The query I think it runs is vm.media.connected:true AND vm.powerstate:poweredOn but I am not sure how in Veeam ONE I would make a alert/report out of it and then present it back.

Thanks
coopsam
Influencer

Full Name: Sam Cooper

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed May 07, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks for additional clarification; much appreciated. I've passed this information to the responsible person. He is traveling at the moment, but he might provide more information/recommendation, once he is available. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu May 08, 2014 7:32 pm

Have you had a chance to review our custom infrastructure report where you can pick up any property and then report on it? As far as I remember there was such parameter, will double check once I get to the office.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby stingray75 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi,

I have a few suggestions for the How Many More VMs Can Be Provisioned report:

1. Could you display the vCPU per host CPU core ratio on the details table for each cluster. It would be very useful to see what the current ratio is, so we can see how close to or over capacity we are, rather than just being told we can provision 0 more VMs.
  2. As well as defining datastore read/write rates, would it be possible to choose datastore IOPS (as they are reported)?
  3. Finally, would it be possible to select specific clusters for this report (with checkboxes), like I can with other reports?

Thanks,

Matt
stingray75
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Matthew Ray

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:29 am

Hi Matt,

1. Makes sense, thanks for that.
2. Yes, we can do that, and actually this possibility was in the original version of the report, but since we cannot set our own thresholds for this (IOPs depend on the hardware you have), then we have decided to only report on these metrics.
3. Do these clusters belong to different datacenters? Right now you can select a root container and report will be triggered for all clusters/hosts that belong to the selected scope.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby stingray75 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi Vitaliy,

Good news about 1!

For 2, I agree with you after talking to our storage team. For an ESX cluster, there are too many factors to determine what the max IOPs should be (eg number of hosts in the cluster, HBA speeds and number of ports, FA on the array, cache hit ratio, workload types etc). With the reports now, it's still good as we can see which clusters are 'hot', so maybe we need to rebalance workloads by moving them to different clusters.

For 3, yes they belong to different datacenters and are in different folders. I see that I can select a root container or folder, but sometimes I don't want all hosts in the scope.

Matt
stingray75
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Matthew Ray

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi Matt,
Regarding question 3.
For choosing clusters from different datacenters and folders you can use Business View. First you need to open "Configurations" in Veeam ONE Business View, choose "Categories" and add a new category(pick desirable object type). Once you are done, you can find a tab with your category when you click "Groups". You need to add at least one group there. Then you go to "Workspace", double-click cluster or host you are interested in and add it to the created group. When you are done, you can see changes both in Veeam ONE Monitor and Reporter. Then go back to "How Many More VMs Can be Provisioned" report and choose groups you need beneath the "Scope" in "Business View object(s)" field.
Nikita
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 430 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby zummy430 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:32 pm

We would like a report to summarize copy jobs including GFS archive retention summary. Another bonus would be a report that includes a summary of the backup files per job and their size.
zummy430
Lurker

Full Name: William Zumbrun

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi William,

zummy430 wrote:We would like a report to summarize copy jobs including GFS archive retention summary.

Do you want to see how much space is consumed by GFS points or something else?
zummy430 wrote:Another bonus would be a report that includes a summary of the backup files per job and their size.

We already have this report, please take a look > Veeam Backup Files Growth

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby zummy430 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:16 pm

for the Copy job, customer is looking for a retention report - possibly to compare defined GFS Archive retention with what is actually in the backup repository. The goal is to have a report for the management team to make sure they actually have backups for the retention defined. I would think per job or per VM would be great.
zummy430
Lurker

Full Name: William Zumbrun

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:25 pm

Ok, thanks for the use case, makes total sense.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby lennis40 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:31 pm

I would like to see a report, for Cloud Connect jobs, that show similar information to the details page of the VM Backup Status report. Primarily the Backup Job column and the VMs column. Basically a backup items, or what VMs are included in each job, type of report. We use these with our current customers to show them we are indeed getting the correct servers backed up. We don't really need to see the status of the backup jobs in this report, just the job name and items included in that particular job. Very basic report.

Something else that would be nice, is a custom report wizard. Where I could select any columns, rows, or available report items from all the available reports in Veeam ONE, and generate a single report from all those selected items.

The large majority of our customers don't have IT staffs that manage their environments, so this report makes sense for us. I understand they could check their B&R server for this info, but it's likely that will not happen, nor would it be something that many of our customers want to do. FOr fully managed environments, reports help the customer understand what's going on.
lennis40
Service Provider

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Reporting