No worries, thanks for clarifications!
coopsam
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Sam Cooper

Re: Veeam Wishlist / Reports

Post by coopsam »

HI,

We moved recently from SolarWinds VM Manager to Veeam ONE and I've been asked if we can re-produce a report we used to get our of Solarwinds called 'Attached ISO's'. Just basically tells us if any VM's have attached ISO on them. Can Veeam produce this report/Alert?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Currently, we don't provide any pre-defined reports regarding attached ISO images. But can you shed a little more light on why you need it? Thanks.
coopsam
Influencer
Full Name: Sam Cooper

Post by coopsam »

We use another bit of software for automated recovery of critical VM's that is able to move them between our VMware clusters at our 2 data centres, however if for any reason a VM has an attached ISO (vm tools, sql install etc) then that process would fail so we monitor that so we can ensure recovery.

The query I think it runs is vm.media.connected:true AND vm.powerstate:poweredOn but I am not sure how in Veeam ONE I would make a alert/report out of it and then present it back.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thanks for additional clarification; much appreciated. I've passed this information to the responsible person. He is traveling at the moment, but he might provide more information/recommendation, once he is available. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Have you had a chance to review our custom infrastructure report where you can pick up any property and then report on it? As far as I remember there was such parameter, will double check once I get to the office.
stingray75
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Matthew Ray

Post by stingray75 »

Hi,

I have a few suggestions for the How Many More VMs Can Be Provisioned report:
  1. Could you display the vCPU per host CPU core ratio on the details table for each cluster. It would be very useful to see what the current ratio is, so we can see how close to or over capacity we are, rather than just being told we can provision 0 more VMs.
  2. As well as defining datastore read/write rates, would it be possible to choose datastore IOPS (as they are reported)?
  3. Finally, would it be possible to select specific clusters for this report (with checkboxes), like I can with other reports?
Thanks,

Matt
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Matt,

1. Makes sense, thanks for that.
2. Yes, we can do that, and actually this possibility was in the original version of the report, but since we cannot set our own thresholds for this (IOPs depend on the hardware you have), then we have decided to only report on these metrics.
3. Do these clusters belong to different datacenters? Right now you can select a root container and report will be triggered for all clusters/hosts that belong to the selected scope.

Thanks!
stingray75
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Matthew Ray

Post by stingray75 »

Hi Vitaliy,

Good news about 1!

For 2, I agree with you after talking to our storage team. For an ESX cluster, there are too many factors to determine what the max IOPs should be (eg number of hosts in the cluster, HBA speeds and number of ports, FA on the array, cache hit ratio, workload types etc). With the reports now, it's still good as we can see which clusters are 'hot', so maybe we need to rebalance workloads by moving them to different clusters.

For 3, yes they belong to different datacenters and are in different folders. I see that I can select a root container or folder, but sometimes I don't want all hosts in the scope.

Matt
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Matt,
Regarding question 3.
For choosing clusters from different datacenters and folders you can use Business View. First you need to open "Configurations" in Veeam ONE Business View, choose "Categories" and add a new category(pick desirable object type). Once you are done, you can find a tab with your category when you click "Groups". You need to add at least one group there. Then you go to "Workspace", double-click cluster or host you are interested in and add it to the created group. When you are done, you can see changes both in Veeam ONE Monitor and Reporter. Then go back to "How Many More VMs Can be Provisioned" report and choose groups you need beneath the "Scope" in "Business View object(s)" field.
Nikita
zummy430
Novice
Full Name: William Zumbrun

Post by zummy430 »

We would like a report to summarize copy jobs including GFS archive retention summary. Another bonus would be a report that includes a summary of the backup files per job and their size.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi William,
zummy430 wrote:We would like a report to summarize copy jobs including GFS archive retention summary.
Do you want to see how much space is consumed by GFS points or something else?
zummy430 wrote:Another bonus would be a report that includes a summary of the backup files per job and their size.
We already have this report, please take a look > Veeam Backup Files Growth

Thanks!
zummy430
Novice
Full Name: William Zumbrun

Post by zummy430 »

for the Copy job, customer is looking for a retention report - possibly to compare defined GFS Archive retention with what is actually in the backup repository. The goal is to have a report for the management team to make sure they actually have backups for the retention defined. I would think per job or per VM would be great.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for the use case, makes total sense.
lennis40
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by lennis40 »

I would like to see a report, for Cloud Connect jobs, that show similar information to the details page of the VM Backup Status report. Primarily the Backup Job column and the VMs column. Basically a backup items, or what VMs are included in each job, type of report. We use these with our current customers to show them we are indeed getting the correct servers backed up. We don't really need to see the status of the backup jobs in this report, just the job name and items included in that particular job. Very basic report.

Something else that would be nice, is a custom report wizard. Where I could select any columns, rows, or available report items from all the available reports in Veeam ONE, and generate a single report from all those selected items.

The large majority of our customers don't have IT staffs that manage their environments, so this report makes sense for us. I understand they could check their B&R server for this info, but it's likely that will not happen, nor would it be something that many of our customers want to do. FOr fully managed environments, reports help the customer understand what's going on.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Mike,
Have you considered Veeam Cloud Connect User Report?
lennis40 wrote:Something else that would be nice, is a custom report wizard. Where I could select any columns, rows, or available report items from all the available reports in Veeam ONE, and generate a single report from all those selected items.
We`ve got a pack of custom reports including Custom Infrastructure report where you can choose parameters to be shown in columns. Also take a look at VMware Custom Performance. Is that what you were looking for?
Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you use any RMM tool to manage remote VBR installations of your clients? Please be aware that VM names and other customer metadata is only displayed on the clients side, not cloud connect one, so you need to install Veeam ONE in the client site to get the reports you want.
lennis40
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Michael

Post by lennis40 »

Thanks, I'll take a look.
samh22a
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by samh22a »

Can we get a collection refresh faster than 3 hours for Reporter ?

1 hours would be a lot better.. ultimately 15 mins.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you need that for reports or dashboards? What data would you like to be refreshed quicker?
Anders
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Anders Lorensen

Post by Anders »

I would like to see a new feature to the Exclusion mask in all reports, so you can add a VMWare Tag to exclude all VM's with that Tag, instead of only looking at the VM name you can today.

The reason: We have a VMWare tag called No-Backup that is attached to all VM's we do not want Veeam B&R to backup. This makes reports like Protected VM's useless, since most of the content in the "unprotected VMs" are incorrect to us.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Anders,

Why not use Business View groups (created based on your tags) as a scope for these reports? In this case you can filter out any VMs you want.

Thanks!
TJ127
Novice
Full Name: TJ Bruggink

Post by TJ127 »

Modification / Enhancement to the VM Backup Status Report

Right now it just does the standard backup jobs and gives you a nice daily summary report of all your backup jobs if it was successful or if it failed.

Was wondering if this report could be modified so that it could be ran against Replication Jobs, Backup Copy Jobs, Endpoint Backup Jobs, and Sql Log Backup Jobs

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Theoretically, yes, but what would you like to get for backup copy jobs?
There is also Backup Jobs Historical Information report which provides info about Backup, Replication, File- and Backup-to-tape jobs.
Thanks!
TJ127
Novice
Full Name: TJ Bruggink

Post by TJ127 »

I am looking for a report that gives the current week / last week report of success failures
Right now the only way that i have found to see if a backup copy job, SQL Log Job, or Endpoint Backup Job was successful or if it failed is to look in the history tab or open the job and look at previous runs. Would like a report that i could quickly look at and verify that everything is running successfully or if something failed. If is also showed the previous job status i would also be able to see if just failed the one day or it has been failing for the past couple of days.

That report that you listed "Backup Job Historical Information" does show me replication jobs but i do not see a way to see Backup Copy Jobs, Endpoint Jobs, or SQL Log Backup Jobs

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point.
So, the best we can do is include the mention job types into existing reports.
We will work on it. Thanks for the feedback!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

TJ127 wrote:Right now the only way that i have found to see if a backup copy job, SQL Log Job, or Endpoint Backup Job was successful or if it failed is to look in the history tab or open the job and look at previous runs.
What about this report > SQL Backup Job Historical Information? I guess it does show what's going on with your SQL Log Jobs or you would like to expose this data in a different format?
flame-master
Lurker
Full Name: Chris Stone

Post by flame-master »

Listing backup tapes ONLY used in the past x hours.

Is there any way to configure a report to do the following:
• Run at 9am every day.
• List ANY backup tapes that have been written to by Backup & Replication in the last x hours ONLY (or x days ONLY).
• Email that report (in whatever format) to recipients

The reasoning for this is that each day we have someone pull the tapes out to send off-site.
There seems to be no specific report that can simply say “I used these tapes last night, so these are the ones to pull out”.
The system will know what tapes it used, but I cannot find any way to generate a report for this.

If this is not currently possible, could this please be added as a feature request?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Chris,

Yes, there is no specific report like that, but we have Tape Exportation report that can help you in tracking all exported tapes.

Thanks!
davide.depaoli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Davide Depaoli

Post by davide.depaoli »

Hello,
it would be useful to have a on VBR historical job report the result of endpoint agents (windows and linux).
Now, to inform end users about thir pc backup, I'm filter the job history from VBR console and take screenshot of job list, like this.
thank you.
Davide