Management reporting and documentation
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Wishlist / Reports

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Davide, thanks for the FR. Do you already use Veeam ONE backup reports? If yes, then what would be TOP 3 you would like to port to Veeam Endpoint Backup report pack?
davide.depaoli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Davide Depaoli

Post by davide.depaoli » 1 person likes this post

Hi Vitaliy,
for sure BACKUP JOB HISTORICAL INFORMATION, and then I think would be useful DAILY BACKUP STATUS; for the third I have no idea, but I'm normally work on small environments and have limited needs (for example no chargeback, billing or big assessments), but perhaps someone who works on large environments will have more imagination than me ;-)
Thank you
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Davide, yes, this list perfectly matches our own ideas on the possible integration. What about Protected VMs report? Should be useful too, if you want to understand what hasn't been backed up for some time.
davide.depaoli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Davide Depaoli

Post by davide.depaoli »

Good idea Vitaly.
It could be useful, for example, to check if some user has disabled or uninstalled VEB/VAL (if the last endpoint backup is very old could be that the agent has been disabled).
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good, we will keep your reports list in mind when discussing features for our next releases.
peterauld
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Auld

Post by peterauld »

I had a quick search but couldn't find this already, apologies if I just missed it.

The "VM Uptime" report for VMware tells you the Number of Reboots, Alarms, actual downtime then finally Uptime % - perfect, drops straight into a department/board report.
The Hyper-V version (guess what I use) only has the Uptime %. Any possibility the Hyper-V version get these extra fields added as well?

Also, why just VM Uptime? Why not apply the exact same statistics to the Hosts/Nodes. I'm sure that'd be just as interesting, especially in large environments.
-edit- Just noticed, you do have it but it's again only for VMware. Hyper-V needs some love!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Peter, agree with everything said above :) Good suggestions for v10. Out of curiosity, how many hosts do you have have running Hyper-V and vSphere? What's the breakdown? Thanks!
peterauld
Lurker
Full Name: Peter Auld

Post by peterauld »

Don't actually have any running vSphere which is why it's such a kicker, no access to the great reports.
We only have 5 Hyper-V hosts which I know is actually quite small, plenty of deployments that are much bigger out there.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Peter,
Thanks for the reply. That`s not the first request already, so we will add the report in future versions.
benthomas
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Ben Thomas

Post by benthomas »

Being able to base reports and/business views on SCVMM Clouds would be a huge win for me.

I run a MSP IaaS platform based on Hyper-V 2016 + SCVMM 2016, and heavily use VMM Cloud to separate customer VMs. I currently have to create custom Business Views based on what datastore the VM is in in order to replicate this, but it doesn't always translate accurately.
It would be nice to be able to report on these for capacity usage and trending predictions.

Additional monitoring of Storage Spaces Direct counters would be nice, they expose great counters natively for things like VM/Volume/Host/Cluster IOPS/Latency/Bandwidth and also things like Cache usage/hits/misses/destages. It would be great if Veeam One could create a report based on these stats for the past month and estimate cache utilization and active working sets. This would be a big win for sizing Storage Spaces Direct hyper-converged clusters.
Ben Thomas | Solutions Advisor | Veeam Vanguard 2023 | VMCE2022 | Microsoft MVP 2018-2023 | BCThomas.com
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ben,

Not sure where VMM cloud can fit in the infrastructure tree, but collecting this data and then automatically creating BV groups based on this should help here, right? Most of the reports are already using BV as a scope, so there will be no need to change them.

Do you want to monitor everything that is published for Storage Spaces Direct or there are top counters that should be added in the first place?

Thanks!
jregel
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Julian Regel

Post by jregel »

Feature request: Report content in email body

Hi

We currently output most of our Veeam Reporter reports to PDF which are then emailed to specific users.

I would like an option to specify the format as "Email" such that the content of the report is in the body of the email and not as an attachment.

Not having to open each attachement would be a real time saver when reading through a lot of status reports on a Monday morning.

Thanks for considering.

JR
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Julian,
What kind of reports are you interested in could you name them?
Some of the reports are hundreds of pages long so it would be tricky to send them as an email though.
Thank you for the request.
jregel
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Julian Regel

Post by jregel »

Hi

The reports we frequently use and review are:

- VM Backup Status
- Latest Backup Job Status
- Active Snapshots
- Guest Disk Free Space

In our situation, these reports are typically < 10 pages long, so would work in an email body.

Thanks
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for the reply Julian!
We will take the request into consideration.
DominikM
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dominik Meier

Post by DominikM » 1 person likes this post

Feature Request: VMware tags

I'm missing the possibility to get the VMware Tags in the Custom Infrastructure Report.

We categorize SLAs and backup rules with VMware tags. Sadly until now there is no option in Veeam ONE Reporter to export the tags per VM in a list.
At the moment we have to export this information with a PowerCLI script. But it would be nice to have this feature in Veeam ONE Reporter.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Dominik,
Thank you for the request. We will consider adding tags to the report. By the way, tags-based management, you can import tags and create Business View groups.
Thanks!
theta12
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by theta12 »

The details of what I’m looking for in a report are below:

The main reason for the report is that we have multiple audits per year and the auditors will ask for backup details of random servers on specific dates which could potentially go back to the start of the year. We must provide the status of the backup job and any reasons for failures/warnings if the job didn’t complete successfully.

I opened a ticket on this issue (Case # 02315731). There are basically two different reports that would need to be combined to pull the details of the report: Backup Job Historical Info report (so I can select a date range) and a Latest Backup Job Status report. The latest backup job status report almost has everything I need, but I’m only able to go back 1 month so maybe it would be as simple as allowing a date range to be run on the Job status report instead of limiting it to one month?

I usually have to run multiple reports, one for each day requested in the audit, so the cherry on top of all of this would be the ability to actually drill down to an individual VM in a job, report on ONLY that VM and be able to select multiple days to report on. I realize I could do this with an individual backup job of the specific servers, but we never know which servers they will request and I don’t want to have to go and strip out all of the other VM’s that might be in the same backup job that the auditors don’t need to see.

For the details of the report:
Under scope, I’d like to be able to drill down to a specific backup job and select an individual VM out of that job.
For interval, you’d at least be able to pick a specific date, but would be nice to have the option to be able to select multiple dates.
When the report is run, it would be very similar to the existing Job Status Report

Status Job DurationAvg. Duration Last Run VM Name VM Status VM Backup Type Transferred (GB) Job Details Retry Count Duration Trend

Failed RTO3 DB Nightly 00:40:10 00:40:10 9/20/2017 01AppSrv Failed Increment 228.37 Processing Carm Error: Failed to prepare VM for processing: Failed to connect to guest agent. '
Success RTO3 DB Nightly 00:40:10 00:40:10 8/15/2017 01AppSrv Success Increment 228.37 Success

Success RTO3 DB Nightly 00:40:10 00:40:10 3/21/2017 01AppSrv Success Increment 228.37 Success
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
You can use Report builder to combine these 2 reports.

Most likely we will not provide another report consisting of data present in 2 existing reports. What we are working on is custom backup reports. For now we have Backup Infrastructure Custom Data report and planning to add alike report with historical backup data.

Thanks for the feedback.
theta12
Influencer

Post by theta12 »

I guess that's my issue, though. The only way to do the report I'm looking for is a clunky, multi-step process that must be repeated over and over. If I want to change dates, I have to make a new BJHI report with the day I want, save that to my custom folder, rerun my custom report, manually strip out all of the irrelevant machines I don't need in my report. Then, I have to repeat this process for the next date range I have to provide info on and then repeat all of these steps over and over for each individual VM they might ask for information on. With my previous backup software, this was a simple, 1-2-3 step process and I was done. With the current Veeam reporting options, I'll be running reports for hours. I guess I thought that would be considered a custom report.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

I`ve got your point. Indeed looks like to automate process you need something like custom backup data report with historical data.
Thanks for the feedback, as I said that report is on our road map.
ian_grasp
Lurker
Full Name: Ian Crowell

Post by ian_grasp »

Looking through the forums it looks like this has been a desire for a number of people for a while.

I'm looking for a report (or even better something in the Console) that will give me historical information and trending on Guest VM Disk Space usage for a HyperV environment. I would like to be able to see a graph showing disk consumption over time. If a disk all of a sudden loses a bunch of disk space, or even totally runs out it is very helpful to be able to go back and find the point in time the usage started to ramp up.

This would be similar to how you can view CPU and RAM Pressure historically in a graph in the console.
Any chance of something like this showing up sometime soon? Or if it's already there (though according to support it does not exist) can I get pointed in the right direction?

Thanks!
Ian
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Ian,
Have you checked Guest Disk Free Space report?
Thanks!
ian_grasp
Lurker
Full Name: Ian Crowell

Post by ian_grasp »

Hi yes, I didn't realize you can drill down into the individual VM's to get more detail for some reason. Would love for there to be a way to have this in the console like Memory and CPU where you can get to the info faster and can do things like see by the hour and look at a date range.

Any chance of that being a possibility in the future?
Thanks!
Ian
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Sure. That's a good idea, thanks!
DominikM
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Dominik Meier

Post by DominikM »

I already logged my needs in case 02687419. Unfortunately there was no actual solution so I was redirected to this Forum.

My use case is similar to the one from theta12 posted here in September 2017:

For one of our costumers I need to deliver the information about all failed backups on VM-Level of last year. This is caused by an external audit.
The report that would satisfy me needs is called "BACKUP JOB HISTORICAL INFORMATION". Sadly the exported report is only available on Job-Level. Although it's possible to get the information on the reporting website by clicking on the specific day. But I can't click on all the subreports and export them manually. That would be a task for a week or so..

In general I'm a bit disappointed about the Veeam ONE reporting. Especially the custom reports should give us way more flexibility to satisfy the needs of costumers or audits. It looks like the information in the database is there, but the tool itself limits our creativity. :(

Dominik
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Dominik.
You can check which jobs backup the virtual machine in Backup Infrastructure Custom Data report. Then check the jobs in mentioned "BACKUP JOB HISTORICAL INFORMATION" report.
techguy129
Lurker
Full Name: Rob

Post by techguy129 »

Feature Request-

The ability to view Windows/Linux agent backup status in the Latest Backup Job Status report
Or
A separate report to show the latest backup job status. ( I prefer one report)
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Rob and welcome to the community!
Thanks for the request.
Have you already checked Protected Computers report?
theta12
Influencer

Post by theta12 »

Shestakov wrote:Hello Dominik.
You can check which jobs backup the virtual machine in Backup Infrastructure Custom Data report. Then check the jobs in mentioned "BACKUP JOB HISTORICAL INFORMATION" report.
BICD reports don't provide the functionality we need. If you try to select options based off a Backup Job, the only Date filters you have are Last Run Start Time and Creation Date, both which return no results when selecting past backup results. Same thing with Virtual Machine results as you only have Last Backup date and Last backup status.

The backup job historical information report is really close to being what we need, it just needs an additional parameter to choose a specific VM from the selected Backup Job. The cherry on top would then be to select specific dates instead of date ranges.