Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
zymran09
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Thomas Schollmeier

"Access Denied" on all physical Backup Jobs

Post by zymran09 »

Hello Veeam-community,

i have the following scenario:

1 physical server running Windows Server 2019 Standard primary as fileserver --> Hyper-V --> 2x Windows Server 2019 VMs (1 DC, 1 Appserver), 1 Linux VM (nextcloud)

1 physical server running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard as backupserver

Some Clients

The servers all all fresh installed till some days and got all actual windows updates. I wanted to backup with Veeam B&R Community Edition, so i installed Version 10.0.0.4461 P2 on the backup server. I configured all the backup jobs, so that the VMs driving a backup every night to the backup server. So far theres no problem with VM-backups.

Really confusing actually is the fact, that its not possible for me to backup physical machines also. No matter which physical machine i want to backup (Fileserver, Backupserver-OS or Client) and which backup type i choose (Agent Policy, server controlled Agent Backup) i always get the same error in the interfaces history tab:

Error: Access denied / Job has failed unexpectedly

Its also strange, that this error comes instantly after the start of the backup job (no waiting time) and the job repeats over and over again with the same result and no end. I really got problems canceling such jobs, cause it starts again so fast, that im unable to delete it. The only way for me is restoring a configuration backup point, where theese physical backup jobs not yet defined.

I have no idea, whats the problem here, maybe a bug or something? Anyone out there who knows something?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: "Access Denied" on all physical Backup Jobs

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Thomas,
agent-based backup job will start with Agent Rescan. So it is worth checking agent status under Invenotry node first. Go there and see if physical machines are there(either under Manually Added or under custom Protection Group of yours) and hit Rescan on it. Here, you will most likely get hit by Access Denied error you see in backup job. Most cases it is linked with windows security and used credentials format - sometimes default account used by Veeam is not a local admin, sometimes account is set as Administrator(ignoring the fact VBR\Administrator is different from FS01\Administrator), sometimes windows prohibits out-of-domain authentication, sometimes required services are blocked, sometimes DNS leads to a totally unexpected IP or doesn't work at all...it will require troubleshooting based on error you will see there.
Anyhow, start wth Agent rescan. If it succeeds, but job still fails, that's a different story and shall be troubleshooted with more care, which will require log analysis with support team.
/Cheers!
zymran09
Novice
Full Name: Thomas Schollmeier

Post by zymran09 »

Hello Egor and thanks for the reply!

i forgot to mention, that the definded physical protection groups (i added 1 protection group for each physical host) works fine! Rescan triggers no errors. Thats just the point, protection groups and rolling out the agent to the machines works like expected. I added the default domain administrator account to Veeam Users as backup administrator.

Like in other error-cases, veeam mostly requires some time to try and then puts out a failure. But in this case, i think the software not even try to do the backup like an internal failure, because the error output comes instant and starts again (3 to 4 times a minute).
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Strange behavior as if some used component aint' accessible, like Backup Repository maybe? Can you please open a support ticket and attach said job logs there straight away? Make sure to update this thread with ticket ID.
/Thanks!
Canto77
Lurker
Full Name: Cedric NICOLAS

Post by Canto77 » 1 person likes this post

We''ve got same issue, for us it came after removing local administrator group in veeam B&R console
Resolved by re-adding the group.