Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
arosas
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tony Rosas

Azure File Share backup

Post by arosas »

Does Veeam have a solution or capability of backing up an Azure file share? We want the backup done in Azure and kept in a separate Azure site\location not backed up on prem.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Azure File Share backup

Post by PTide »

Hi,

If the file-share is mounted on a linux machine you might want to try VAL's snapshot-less backup.

Thanks!
arosas
Enthusiast

Post by arosas »

The Azure File Share is only partially syncd back to an on prem windows server using Azure File Sync, which is why we would want to back it up in Azure.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Tony,

This is one of the items that we are looking into. But we are looking at it from different angles. We are investigating on-prem backup as backup in the cloud. However, there is no white smoke coming out of the chimney :-)
Ethan OG
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ethan McConnell

Post by Ethan OG »

This is something we are also looking for. We have a client that is considering Azure Files & Azure Files Sync, and wants to retain all backups forever. Native Azure Backup does not have the ability to retain backups forever. It has a 10 year maximum.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Post by jmmarton »

The upcoming NAS backup feature of Veeam Backup & Replication v10 may be able to assist with this.

Joe
arosas
Enthusiast

Post by arosas »

A couple things I thought you can bring up:

Can we backup the Azure File Share to an object storage in Azure. We already use Azure object storage for SOBR, so maybe use that one?
And another thing to bring up to QA would be, if we are able to backup this scenario, if there will be any access limits from the Microsoft side, I.E needing multiple accounts to access the share.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Tony,
Can we backup the Azure File Share to an object storage in Azure. We already use Azure object storage for SOBR, so maybe use that one?
With upcoming NAS backup functionality you can use object storage as an archive (or long-term) repository to tier the data from your primary repository.
And another thing to bring up to QA would be, if we are able to backup this scenario, if there will be any access limits from the Microsoft side, I.E needing multiple accounts to access the share
Cant imagine any issues with permissions for Azure File Share being mounted as SMB to a windows machine. Can you please elaborate?
arosas
Enthusiast

Post by arosas »

Hello Dima,

I guess it was a poor choice of words on the second point. In the Veeam Backup for O365 product, it has performance limits, imposed by Microsoft where there is a per account throttle in place. in VBO V4 Veeam came up with their own workaround by using multiple accounts. Wondering if in V10 we are able to backup a native Azure file share to an Object Storage (Also in Azure) if there will be any such limits.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Now I get it, thanks! Based on the File level limits article: standard file shares can provide the performance up to 60 MiB/sec per storage account. That statement leads me to the thought that you can mount Azure File share multiple times under multiple storage accounts and then back it up via multiple nas jobs at the same time (it's possible to define the set of subfolders in the backup job, so you wont have data backed up multiple times) to multiply the performance.