Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
cyrus104
Novice
Liked: never

B&R backup agent error

Post by cyrus104 »

Case #04337729

I just installed B&R with an community license to test it before we purchase it at work. I had several issues installing B&R on a semi fresh install of Windows 10 and after like 5 re-installs, I think it there was an issue with a catalog service. After getting the product to install with... no issues, I added a single Linux machine I wanted to back up but am getting the error below. 8/16/2020 9:02:56 PM :: Skipping 10.100.10.2 Details: This backup agent is managed by the Backup server DESKTOP, ignoring control request from DESKTOP I made sure to turn off the firewall for testing and have also checked some Group Policies based on the forums.

Not sure what the issue is or how to fix it.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: B&R backup agent error

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

First: it's strange that the setup had issues. That sounds like something is going fundamentally wrong. I suggest to have a clean installation on a clean operating system. Everything else will just end in handicraft work.

Second: is there any reason that you backup with agents? Don't you have VMware vSphere or Hyper-V?

For the agent issue: it seems you added it before. The agent does not like to be managed by multiple backup servers. I suggest to uninstall the agent again and check for the configuration files and delete them manually (that should happen automatically, but you environment does not sound normal :-)) They are located in /var/lib/veeam per default

Best regards,
Hannes
cyrus104
Novice

Post by cyrus104 »

Hannes,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I'm not sure on the install issue either, I'll test with a fresh install in a VM. I already other tools and licenses setup on the main work machine that I did install Veeam on that had the install issue.

Second item: I'm unfamiliar with how Veeam works haven't been able to get a good grasp on some of the basic ways to use Veeam backup. I was able to find some diagrams on Reddit that show a layout of when to use and agent versus other options. The machine that I'm backing up in question is a Debian VM on a proxmox server that I am backing up. My plan is to migrate to vSphere that I have a VMUG full license for my homelab. So I'm treating it as a linux machine to be backed up and then eventually pushed up to a vSphere. If I could back it up to a vmdk/vmx I could use that with VMware Workstation too.

If I am just looking for Veeam to do basic backups and maybe restore to vSphere would it be bested to use it in Managed by backup server option?

Agent Issue: With this being a homelab, I think I was trying to use Veeam maybe 2 years ago and didn't have much luck. I also did not have the NFR license which should make the difference.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
a good starting point is helpcenter.veeam.com and the quick start guide https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/qsg_vsphere/

ok, for a VM on proxmox, the agent is really the way to go.

Yes, it is possible that you restore an agent backup to vSphere (via instant recovery).

Best regards,
Hannes
cyrus104
Novice

Post by cyrus104 »

I will check out the documentation on the site you pointed to.

With this being a Debian 10 VM, I tested it with B&R managed and it backed up successfully without any issues. What is a good way to verify that the image that was created it valid? Can I restore the VM to VMware Workstation Pro?

Thanks again.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
for you lab, I would only do a file restore test or the health check

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

As of today, only conversion to vSphere is possible. In future, also to Hyper-V

Best regards,
Hannes
cyrus104
Novice

Post by cyrus104 »

Hannes,

Thanks a bunch for your help, I think I'm well on my way to enjoying the benefits of B&R.

I see the option to "Export Disk Content as Virtual Disk", I am going to try to use that to export to a VMDK. Then add the VMDK to a newly created VMware Workstation VM without a virtual disk. In the future maybe this could be automated by generating a valid vmx file but for now this might work.

Thanks,
Derek