Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
collinp
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Collin P

BartPE Recovery

Post by collinp »

The Veeam Recovery .iso won't work with our HP serverd ILO (lights out management tool). It works on VM's and other servers. Other ISO's can be mounted to our HP server through the ILO.

How can we recover a server using bare metal without the Recovery media ISO being bootable on the server? Is there a way we can infuse the Veeam Recovery agent into a BartPE boot disk which is compatible with our HP servers? We also tried burning a cd-rom and usb stick from the Veeam Recovery iso and that did not work.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: BartPE Recovery

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
It doesn't answer the question, but I would try to fix the boot issue. The VAW recovery environment is a Windows. Windows must be able to boot on HPE servers. Sometimes drivers can be an issue, but chances are high that there is a solution for that.
How can we recover a server using bare metal without the Recovery media ISO being bootable on the server?
I believe, that's the wrong question. But technically a restore to the disks with a system that can boot should work. For example mounting the SAN volume of that server to another server and do BMR on the other server. Then switch the SAN volume back to the HPE server.

I remember BartPE to be Windows XP based. That probably doesn't work as VAW only works with Windows 7 and newer.

Best regards,
Hannes
collinp
Expert

Post by collinp »

Without the recovery media being bootable on HPE Servers, I can create a new windows server from the windows iso, and install the Veeam agent on it. But when I recover, I see 2 options: Volume or Files. How do I restore the system state so that this vanilla Windows server can take on all of the server properties from the restore (computer name, domain membership, applications, etc). If I either restore all volumes, or all files, does the system state also get restored? I am working from the Veeam B&R Console for this restore since the recovery media does not work in this server.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Without the recovery media being bootable on HPE Servers,
I recommend to fix that with support.

Installing Windows and then somehow to "full restore" from a running Windows is no option.
collinp
Expert

Post by collinp »

There is some strange behavior with the HPE G10 when mounting the Veeam Recovery iso through the ilo. If we use UEFI mode, the veeam recovery iso will not boot. If we use legacy bios mode, we can at least see the windows logo from the recovery boot process, but it doesn't get beyond that. We finally abandoned the effort and build the system from scratch.