Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
sebastian.gonzalez
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sebastian Gonzalez

Case #05066933 — Need to "manually" uninstall every trace of Agent

Post by sebastian.gonzalez »

Hi, got 4 systems that don't have the uninstaller, they have the free agent installed and one of them used to be managed by a VBRServer, the old server has been deleted and now whenever i install the agent on that server, the old server configuration is added, and i can't change it, how can i a completely remove the installations and the configurations? what registry records should i delete, and what folders and files should i delete to make a COMPLETELY clean installation? two of them already have an SQL app so i can't uninstall SQL.

Remember the software is not showing in "programs & characteristics" to uninstall it, thanks!

PS: i can see in the registry that is pointing to the old server.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 519 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Case #05066933 — Need to "manually" uninstall every trace of Agent

Post by PetrM »

Hi Sebastian,

Could you please clarify what do you mean by: "I install the agent on that server, the old server configuration is added"? Do you install agent from Veeam B&R server or are you talking about standalone installation? And could you please elaborate a bit more on the configuration of an old server, what kind of configuration are you talking about?

Thanks!
sebastian.gonzalez
Novice

Sure! they used to have a B&R 9, and this 4 servers where being backed up using that B&R, for some reason, they deleted that server and never looked back.
Now i got in charge to take care of the IT services from this guys and when i created a new server with B&R i found that i can't deploy the agent because the target server already have a veeam agent deployed with B&R and pointing to this deleted server (no installer on program & characteristics) and since this servers have an SQL installation i just can't remove SQL..
For me the option was to simply install the free agent and use B&R to point to the NAS (backup repository), but when i connect the free agent to the B&R it fails to backup, tried reinstalling the free agent, rebooting, etc.

So the real solution here and safest option i see is to completely remove veeam from the target servers manually and try a deployment with the B&R server, but i want to know what i need to manually delete and how if it's something else besides editing the windows registry and deleting folder/files.. since i don't have the "uninstaller" on the "program a characteristics " list of windows.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for clarifications! Basically, you should be able to do uninstall via "Programs and Features". If the agent is not listed there, it's a technical issue and I'd let our support team to reveal the root cause as they have special guidelines for troubleshooting problems related to install and upgrade processes. Let's wait for what our engineers can find out.

Thanks!
sebastian.gonzalez
Novice

Sadly my case got archived:

---------------------------------------------

support@veeam.comOct 15, 2021

Thank you for contacting Veeam Customer Support.
My Account | CUSTOMER SUPPORT PORTAL | Resource Library
Dear Sebastian,

This is Veeam Support with a system generated courtesy notification. Unfortunately, due to high Support Team load we were unable to process your request and it has been archived automatically.

Please keep in mind that as a Free Product case, Support is provided on a best effort basis. Support Policy for Free Products can be found here: https://www.veeam.com/veeam_software_su ... icy_ds.pdf

If you believe this is in error, please reach out to our management team via this page: https://my.veeam.com/#/support/talk-to-manager

is there a way to reactivate the case? :(
sebastian.gonzalez
Novice

Just requested to be reviewed by a manager to reopen the case, looks like this is a "stone in the shoe" situation, all i find in the forum regarding to manually remove veeam is referred to open a case, it would be wonderful to have a detailed guide on how to remove it if it's not on showing up on "Programs and Features", seems is something quite requested, would probably minimize the requests to the helpdesk too :(
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hi Sebastian,

I cannot say that this is something that we encounter very often, it's not a common scenario but rather a corner case. The aim of user guide is to provide instructions for using the product and not to help with troubleshooting of technical issues. If you face a technical problem, the best way to address it is to contact our support team.

Support is provided on a best effort basis for customers who use free products but you can try to re-open the case, every single attempt increases chances to get support. Anyway, I can speak to our support folks, perhaps they would be able to find some resources to investigate it but I cannot guarantee, of course.

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Sebastian,
For me the option was to simply install the free agent and use B&R to point to the NAS (backup repository), but when i connect the free agent to the B&R it fails to backup, tried reinstalling the free agent, rebooting, etc.
Try to recreate database on the machines in the question and then re-add these machines to the Veeam B&R server. This operation should remove any 'links' with your previous backup server installation. Let us know how it goes. Thank you!