Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
timgowen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Gowen

Case #06092272 DFSR As File Share

Post by timgowen »

I've got a DFSR with two members for digital assets. Backup doesn't work as expected with a file server (which I have in my setup, no problem). After some research I switched to a File Share backup but there's a licensing issue... even though I have removed one server from the Veeam configuration as it is no longer required. Ideally I would like to back this share up as I do a normal windows agent backup, but DFSR in additional to the licensing issue gives me file lock problems. Apologies for the non-technical description of the situation, but I'm failing to understand where the issue lies.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Case #06092272 DFSR As File Share

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tim,

No issue at all, we can discuss questions of any technical level on this forum but please keep in mind that we don't troubleshoot technical issues here, you should work with our support team to find a resolution. As far as I see, you already created a support case so let's wait for the results of technical analysis from our engineers.

Thanks!
timgowen
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Gowen

Re: Case #06092272 DFSR As File Share

Post by timgowen »

Ok so my case became one of licensing because a file backup, which would work fine, uses an instance per 500Gb and the volume I have would require 58. The actual volume is very big - 107Tb.

Anyway I came to the conclusion that VSS is of course not supported with volumes that big but it doesn't return an error that's meaningful it just stops working. So now I am wondering about reducing the volume size in Windows with relatively low risk to the existing data.