Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
Rooby
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Klaus Fink

centralized managed but server not always available

Post by Rooby »

Hello

I would like to centralize all backups jubs but I do not want to run the server (a VM) on a Synology NAS all the time.
Only when I want to make changes. What I have done so far is:
- in the Backup Infrastruckture -> Backup Repositories, I crated a NFS3 entry to the NAS
- in the Inventory->Physical Infrastructure, I created a group for all windows PCs
- in Home -> Jobs, I added Backup job for the group and the repository using "Veeam Backup Repository"

The Problem is that it looks like the Backup Agent on the client does only backup via the Server to the NAS even if I set in the Backup job "managed by agent".
This I do not want. It seems it does not take the link of the created backup repositry (NFS link to the NAS) and send it to the client agents.
Instead it routes the backup to the server and then to the NAS which is of couse much to slow.

Alternatively:
In the Backup Job I can use "Shared Folder" instead of "Veeam Backup Reppository" for the PC group but then I cannot specify NFS for the windows PC group.
That is really bad, any suggestions?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: centralized managed but server not always available

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Klaus,

Can you please clarify what server is set as a gateway server for the NFS repository? In case of automatic selection backup traffic is indeed routed via backup server, but you can select another machine for that.
In the Backup Job I can use "Shared Folder" instead of "Veeam Backup Reppository" for the PC group but then I cannot specify NFS for the windows PC group.
That might be an option. However, with agent backup jobs pointed to file share you wont be able to access the backup files from Veeam B&R repository (unless you register such share and import those backups manually). Cheers!
Rooby
Novice

Post by Rooby »

Thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately I can only select the default Veeam Server (which is WIN10 VM on Synolgy NAS) as gateway server.
I don't know how to add a NAS directly as a Gateways server.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Unfortunately you cant - gateway server must be a Windows machine in such case. You can potentially use one of the machines protected by agents, add it as managed server then select as gateway for your nfs repository (but keep in mind that all backup traffic will be routed via this machine, so it might affect the performance of the production workload).
Rooby
Novice

Post by Rooby »

Thanks for your support. Intersting that such a simple backup requirment cannot be fullfilled with a big tool such as Veeam:
Centralized managed backup agents on windows PCs making backups on a NAS directly (using NFS if possible).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You are welcome, and, to sum up, you have tree options to achieve your goal:

1. Backup to NFS repository via Veeam B&R as a gateway server
2. Backup to NFS repository via any other machine acting as a gateway server
3. Use direct backup to a SMB share, set as a target in the agent policy without registering SMB as a repository